Vogelsang, Aug 11, 2008

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Vogelsang, Aug 11, 2008

Post by The Other Tom »

i must admit that Trailblazer inspired me to get up early and take some pictures of the sunrise at Vogelsang. (see this link for his earlier trip and photos viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3006&st=0&sk=t&sd=a )

I also wanted to compare the snow cover and sun angle on Vogelsang ~10 weeks since his trip.

My son and I hiked to Vogelsang from Tuolumne and spent 3 nights in the backpacker's campground, hiking up to the pass and Townsley lake, Hanging Basket lake, and Evelyn Lake. We really enjoyed it. Here's my photos (sorry, Greg, not as good as yours)

Sunrise:

Sunset:

Jupiter and moonrise over Fletcher Peak:
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: Vogelsang, Aug 11, 2008

Post by giantbrookie »

Nice photos. Your moonlight shot reminds me of one of the eeriest visual affects I've ever seen in the Sierra. It was in fact at Vogelsang Lake with the moon rising behind Fletcher Peak. In the middle of the night it looked like there were glowing lines on Fletcher.
Last edited by giantbrookie on Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

Cool shots Tom! Pretty cool to see the change in snow level and sun angle, as that trip is as fresh in my mind as yesterday. Glad to hear you all had a great time!
Cloudy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Cloudy »

Yes, very nice photos. I've been through there three times I think and didn't get up as early as you :-)

Alan