Balloons

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Bearman
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Balloons

Post by Bearman »

I was at Thousand Island Lake on Saturday and found a green latex (non-mylar) balloon in the water. The strange thing is, I had never seen a balloon in the back country until I read this thread. My best guess is that it must have blown in from Mammoth(?)
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

I agree with Bearman -- the timing of this thread is uncanny. I've often seen balloon fragments in the backcountry, but saw my first inflated balloon just 2 days ago, on the ridge between Soldier Lake and Miter Basin. It was a regular balloon -- not mylar -- so I was assuming that it had been released by some boorish hiker.
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

being a desert hiker also - we find balloons all the time. My friend who is a tortoise walking biologist says they usually take 2-5 per day of walking. they have even developed a point system - bonus points for the most rare.

While hiking in Centenial - found a sponge Bob complete with accordian legs and arms as I came over a ridge. put Bob on my hiking pole - as the others approaced - I popped Bob up and made him "dance" along the ridge. my friends were very surprised
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
AldeFarte
Topix Regular

Post by AldeFarte »

Funny thing about those balloons. I haven't found any mylar types around my neighborhood in AK., but I have found 2 weather balloons. There must be some kind of eddy in the atmosphere that deposits them in the area near me. I found them both within 1/4 mile of each other. jls :)
Poopah
Topix Acquainted

Post by Poopah »

Funny, first one I saw was on my trip 3 weeks ago. Was fishing Stoney Ridge lake and watching a 'plane' off in the distance. Then the 'plane' dipped below Stoney Ridge and I realized it was a mylar ballon. Watching it dance around in the wind for about 5 minutes before I lost it behind a hill.
jkemper
Topix Novice

Post by jkemper »

i found 2 on my trip this year. 1 was about 10 yards away from Cunningham Creek(36 41.101N - 118 29.563W). The other was about 1 mile or 2 East of MacLeod pass.