That shredded backpack along the Whitney trail

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

That shredded backpack along the Whitney trail

Post by hikerduane »

Thank you giantbrookie for a jab to my brain.

Small world. On the day before my bp trip a couple weeks ago out of South Lake, I had stopped at a campsite in the Willow campground to say a word to a gent and he invited me to share his site and all I had to pay was for the extra vehicle as he had friends coming the next day, so his spot was paid for already. Nice guy, John, from a small town in southern Indiana. We were sitting around the spot, sipping his beer of course and talking about bping and what not. Come to find out, on one of his previous bp trips, he had met a pretty blond lady and met her again, later in his trip at Reds Meadow in Devils Post Pile at a party. Another story there. Onward, turns out she had been hiking along the trail up or down from Mt. Whitney and had stopped to take a breather and set her backpack down and moved off a bit. A boulder rolled about then and crushed her backpack and no effort could budge the thing. Anyway, to salvage what gear she could, she had to cut the backpack to get all she could out of it. So, if you heard or saw about "that" shredded backpack, that is what happened according to John and what I remember him telling me.
Piece of cake.