River trail-Mammoth area

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Bearman
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: River trail-Mammoth area

Post by Bearman »

To get access to the Agnews Meadow Campground and the trail head parking, first pick up your Wilderness Permit. At the Devil's Post Pile/Agnews/Reds Meadow Kiosk, tell the Ranger that you have a wilderness permit (they'll want to see it) and that you want to camp at Agnews Meadow. They'll charge you something like $5/person which is in addition to the camp site fee. The whole reason for this is that the road down is 1+ cars wide. If they let everyone down that wanted to see Devil's Post Pile, it would be a traffic jam.

There were plenty of wild flowers. Unfortunately, I don't know how to post pics, but I sure do have some nice ones! If someone tells me how, I'll see if I can post them.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

In the technical question section above checkout "how to post photos" instructions.
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by The Other Tom »

Bearman wrote:To get access to the Agnews Meadow Campground and the trail head parking, first pick up your Wilderness Permit. At the Devil's Post Pile/Agnews/Reds Meadow Kiosk, tell the Ranger that you have a wilderness permit (they'll want to see it) and that you want to camp at Agnews Meadow. They'll charge you something like $5/person which is in addition to the camp site fee. The whole reason for this is that the road down is 1+ cars wide. If they let everyone down that wanted to see Devil's Post Pile, it would be a traffic jam.

There were plenty of wild flowers. Unfortunately, I don't know how to post pics, but I sure do have some nice ones! If someone tells me how, I'll see if I can post them.
Thanks for the info re: camping at Agnew.

To post pics,follow these directions:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=103
Basically, you have to upload your photos to a photo hosting site, like flickr or snapfish. Webshots doesn't work as well. Then follow the directions in the above link