Sabrina / Evolution Basin Ideas

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Sabrina / Evolution Basin Ideas

Post by maverick »

There are 3 class 2 routes up Brewer, east ridge, south ridge, and northwest.
Yes the East ridge route is the easiest following Ouzel Creek up-stream from East Lake
onto the ridge that leads up Brewer.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

Brewer's east ridge route and the southern slope are both class 2. The northwest flank has class 2 routes but that face is steeper and intricate (a lot of branching chutes and ribs) and a route finding mistake can easily get you into class 3 or worse. The east ridge would be my preferred route if Brewer was the objective from the get go, but on a "Ring Around the Brewer" trip, it may be more convenient to climb Brewer from the south
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Aviprk
Topix Acquainted

Re: Lake Reflection/Longley Pass/Sphinx Lakes loop

Post by Aviprk »

I tried doing that exact trip last year in the reverse direction. From Road's End to Sphinx lakes. I thought we would be able to make it to the first lake by day's end but my tiredness and the unsureness of being in the right basin containing the lakes made us just pitch camp at a campground we had found close to the river. Next day we put our packs on and about 1.5 hours of scrambling we found the first lake which was a big bummer because I thought we may have passed it. I just had completely forgotten how big it was on the map compared to other lakes in the area that I've been before and I thought it would just be a pond. How wrong I was!

So after all that time wasted, my friends decide they had enough x-c and we turn around about 200ft before reaching Sphinx Col. I was really sad at that point but it was still a great trip. The part from Road's End to Sphinx Lakes you definitely want to do it going downhill. There is section they call "stairway to Heaven" and it's not joke! From Road's End to the First Sphinx lakes it's over 6000ft and we had climbed almost that much on the first day!

I never been up to Lake Reflection, but when I do this trip again I will definitely do it the other way around, starting at Lk Reflection and going up Longley Pass and to South Guard lake and etc...
el cuervo

Post by el cuervo »

I have taken a heavy pack (>45 lbs) down Harrison many years ago. It is manageable. If your GF is experienced go for it, if not, you are asking for an epic.

A few weeks ago I reconnoitered Millie/Lucy with a day pack from Lake Reflection. I went up Millie 's and down Lucy's. Millie's is a narrow chute at the top (4' wide), with delicate footwork required. Lucy's is a steep scree slog if you pick the correct route (closest chute to Ericsson), as bad as or worse than Millie's if you pick wrong.

I will never willingly take a heavy pack over either pass. If pressed, I'd recommend going up Millie and down Lucy with a load. The moraine below Lucy's is NOT recommended. My knees may never forgive me.

I would not recommend taking anyone over either of these passes unless they were very experienced and capable.

Harrison is your best bet behind Forrester, though it is no gimme for the novice.
trav867
Topix Regular

Post by trav867 »

Thanks for all the input- got back last night from an amazing 5 day trip that was pretty much the loop around Brewer that giantbrookie and maverick recommended. Longley Pass was fun and probably appropriate for her skill level. I couldn't help looking up in the direction of Millys from Reflection though, its a challenge thats definitely on my list. I'll have a trip report and photos up this evening.
giantbrookie

Post by giantbrookie »

Glad your trip was a success and fun. I look forward to seeing your photos.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;