big pine lakes question

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
croupier
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

big pine lakes question

Post by croupier »

How crowded are the big pine lakes in late september/early october? I'm thinking of taking a trip there but i'd like it to not be super crowded. I've heard that this area in general is crowded, so that's why I'm asking.

Thanks!
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Re: big pine lakes question

Post by gary c. »

I was just camped near the outlet to lake #2 from Fri - Mon and most of the campsites around lake #1 were ocupied. Further up there were plenty of places to get away from people. I don't think there should be any problem after school has started.
Gary C.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
kgw
Topix Acquainted

Post by kgw »

Big Pine Lakes is a quota region, right? I imagine if I show up during the week, I could get a permit, eh?
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Someone else on here would probably know better than me but I would think your chances are good. Big Pines is a very popular trail though so make sure that you have a back-up plan.
Gary C.
To Check availability
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/recreation ... vail.shtml
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Although the Big Pine lakes are popular, by late September to early October backcountry use throughout the Sierra has dropped off a lot, so I think you'll be in good shape.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;