Pine Creek Canyon Backpack June 25-27 2008

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
trailhiker
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Pine Creek Canyon Backpack June 25-27 2008

Post by trailhiker »

Hello all, I just put up a photo gallery of a backpack trip from the eastern Sierras' Pine Creek roadend to Honeymoon Lake and a dayhike over Pine Creek Pass. The mosquitos were a tad bothersome but the scenery and good weather more than made up for them. Here are a few pics --

And the full gallery with commentary is here --- http://trailhiker.smugmug.com/gallery/5336786_JknE4
Feel free to leave a comment, and hope you enjoy the trip as much as I did! :D

Best Wishes,
Steve
http://www.trailhiker.smugmug.com

'To the complaint, 'There are no people in these photographs,' I respond, 'There are always two people: the photographer and the viewer.' - Ansel Adams
rayfound
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Pine Creek Canyon Backpack June 25-27 2008

Post by rayfound »

Heading up Pine creek on Friday morning. Great pictures - glad I picked up some 100% deet.

How did the fishing look? See many active fish in the pine lakes/honeymoon? What about the streams in the french Canyon?

Yay for wildflowers - looks Awesome!

Great shots man. Thank You.
rayfound
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by rayfound »

Also - how were the daytime/nighttime temperatures?

Thanks - Your post has gotten me really excited.
will_jrob
Topix Acquainted

Post by will_jrob »

Thanks for the report and album, enjoyed both. :nod:
try
Founding Member

Post by try »

Steve
Thanks for posting such a wonderful trail report and great pics! I love that area; several years ago I did a loop over Italy Pass, down to JMT and back up Piute Canyon to Pine Creek Pass and out. I agree with you, that old 4WD trail at the beginning is pure hell, but the views are worth it.
I had Rotator Cuff surgery last week, so all of my backpacking this summer is of the vicarious kind, looking at others trip reports and pics. So thank you again, I just revisited a favorite area in the Sierras!

try :p
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Nicely presented with enjoyably descriptive anotation. A good selection of images. Well done.

Too often one receives a link to someones trip photos where there has been little editing, anotating, and deleting done. Thus some people use the commercial sites like an extra hard drive for their images without bothering to put much effort into public presentation.

As a photographer, you ought to return to that area some year in early August after the snows melt out more and vegetation with wildflowers peak, going beyond Honeymoon Lake to Royce Lakes and Granite Park. Much of the best scenery in these areas is beyond trail sides.

...David
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by TehipiteTom »

Great photos! The suncup shot is amazing.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

Great photos, and I loved browsing your additional photos and report in your smugmug account (haven't had the time to read it all, but hope to soon!). :thumbsup: Definitely makes me yearn to head back to that area soon! Last time through seemed just way too short (doesn't it always!). I remember passing a camp at Honeymoon, and the folks offered us Pancakes (mmm), and while we munched they showed us the 6" wide and 12" long tear in their tent from a bear :bear: the previous night.
rrivera
Topix Acquainted

Post by rrivera »

Love the pictures and the description it really makes you want to get out there and see it for yourself. Thanks for sharing.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

TehipiteTom wrote:Great photos! The suncup shot is amazing.
I thought I replied to this thread. That's what I was going to say. Love the suncup shot!
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;