Tablelands July 3-5 Pictures

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
trav867
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Tablelands July 3-5 Pictures

Post by trav867 »

Went to the tablelands in Sequoia/Kings Canyon July 3-5. From Wolverton, I headed to the Pear Lake Ranger Station, then up Tableland Meadows to Moose Lake. The next day I followed the crest/park border west over to Crowley Canyon beneath Mt. Silliman. Went down the canyon then over Silliman Pass and camped at Twin Lakes. Yesterday hiked back to Wolverton.

Amazing trip, Moose Lake is probably the most picturesque lake I've been to in the Sierra. There was no moon and I swear there were more stars in the sky than space. This was my first time hiking off trail, and I love it. You really experience the wilderness in a way thats impossible following a trail.

The mosquitoes were about how I expected- bad. At 11,000ft there were hardly existent, at 10,000 they were annoying, and at 9,000 they were horrible. Wildflowers were in full bloom and very beautiful.

Here is a link to the pictures: http://www.slide.com/r/cvVh5n7k3D96WC_TW_j5zvNJg9C_5fbo
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Re: Tablelands July 3-5 Pictures

Post by tomcat_rc »

Nice pictures - that area was beatiful this weekend. We went over Panther Gap to Alta Peak and down the tables to Pear Lake -flowers were awesome - it was first trip in this area for me. View of Moose Lake is blocked but I was amazed at how close Whitney looks. And it was strange to see the Kaeweahs from the other side for a change
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

Awesome :thumbsup: Looks like a fantastic time!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks for the pic's. From your pic's smoke doesn't seem to be a big issue even the
views toward the sierra crest seem pretty clear.
The only area that you seemed to have it around was Twin Lakes.
trav867
Topix Regular

Post by trav867 »

Smoke was definitely not an issue. I asked a ranger at Lodgepole about the air quality, and she said it had been pretty smokey the past week. Lodgepole is at like 6800ft though, a long way from 10,000 where there was no hint of smoke in the air. Twin Lakes was a little hazy, but not bad, and there was no smell of smoke. The mosquitoes were so thick at twin lakes though, I may not have noticed the smoke haha.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Pretty area, I haven't done much on that side.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;