Wishon to Woodchuck Country

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Wishon to Woodchuck Country

Post by SSSdave »

AaronRDavis wrote:
SSSdave wrote:
AaronRDavis wrote:Maybe it is. It looks like there's a couple xcountry passes one might take east of scepter, I am trying to decide which one is best.
Please provide an acme.mapper link with crosshairs at couple xcountry passes the way I did so I can make sense of your uncertainty.

Also oldranger's route is just as efficient.
Basically either "scepter pass" (which on my paper map has no trail thus i thought of it as xcountry, vs the "C" pass here:

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=37.03980,-11 ... ddard%20CA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And once over pass C, I wonder how bad the talus is.
Note whenever using the acme.mapper save link function, first clear the markers. Scepter Pass is an old horse trail regardless of the fact they left it off the 7.5 topo as is occasionally the case with trails simply because adding trails is often a manual task. In any case S Pass is not as I noted east from the trail but rather due north in the same direction as the trail. As for talus, do not recall any.

David
AaronRDavis
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Wishon to Woodchuck Country

Post by AaronRDavis »

Last summer I basically followed the red route traversing the "maxon range". See map here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/becht/7569 ... 575306646/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
More talus that I would have preferred but I may have traversed too high. Overall a nice route though. I just know with a smoother route I could pick up the pace and get to portal even quicker. Ultimately if I can get from trailhead to portal in 1 long day, Im happy.