Mosquitos?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Mosquitos?

Post by cgundersen »

First, thanks to everyone for the heads up on the bugs, both here and under Maverick's post. I try to hold off on the DEET till it's a 4-5 on Mav's scale (even given that the bites I do get could be transmitting nasties), but my wife lathers up in the 1-2 range, so I just want to make sure we have enough chemicals.......

Second, Maverick, regarding your query about Ladder Lake, here I was obliged to go with the summer's #3 plan (my first preference was to head for the backside of the Kaweahs, mostly after the stunning photos you and Trailblazer posted; plan B was to do the lakes dotting the ridgeline south of Black Giant, including Ladder, Hester, etc and try to work down to Rambaud Pass and see how much time we had left). But, my wife has had an exhausting 6 months on the job and though she was game to head out for 10 nights, she wanted an easier start to the trip. Thus, we're going over Piute and will aim for Honeymoon Lakes (or even Ramona, if we're on a roll). From there we'll go into McGee basin and loop into the upper reaches of Ionian and then, if she's feeling brave, come back out over Echo col, if not, we'll do the tried & true over Lamarck. Obviously, there's a lot of room for flexibility to gauge the skeeterz, smoke and serenity factors. Anyway, I think that given the conditions in the Sierras right now, this is a decent plan, and we do have the option of trying for the Kaweahs in September, if the weather/smoke looks promising. Since we usually try to get out in June to avoid bugs and take advantage of the really cold lakes (frozen solid, on occasion), this will be a bit different, but I cannot wait to get my feet on some granite!
Cheers!
CG
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Sounds like a fun trip CG.
I to plan on visiting Kaweah Basin sometime this year, Id like to get to the upper lakes
in Red Spur Basin and find a route down to Red Spur Creek, but the fires are pushing
everything back so I may only be able to do 2 more trips and visit Kern Point Lake next year.
losthillsguy
Topix Newbie

Post by losthillsguy »

How the skeeters in Onion Valley and above as of July 5th??
Thanks
LostHillsGuy
JMat
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by JMat »

Instead of DEET I prefer to use Cutter Advanced. It has Picardin in it and works just as well just not near as long. I had to reapply about every hour or so, they say it should last 3 but I was sweating pretty good. This stuff was just approved 3 or 4 years ago and doesn't leave you feeling like you have an oil slick on you. It also doesn't come with all the warnings DEET does either.

JMat
Sierra Maclure
Topix Regular

Post by Sierra Maclure »

I've been hiking around 7-8 K on the west side lately and they seem to be getting a bit worse with each week - matching the increasing flowers - especially in wet areas. I DEET up only when I can't stand it any longer which has been rarely in the evening or when going thru a swamp. I blast my hair and clothes with 100% DEET and try to keep it off my skin. Once you've had cancer & you don't know what caused it, you get cautious about everything. So far may hair has not fallen out (chemo did that) and my clothes have not melted although I had my DEET in the same pocket with my compass once and it did a number on the plastic on my compass. I heard that Long Meadow at 9K in Yos. is hellacious right now.