Forks of the Kern Crossing Help

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Lightning Dog
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Forks of the Kern Crossing Help

Post by Lightning Dog »

We have a permit to hike the Doe Meadow and Kern Flat Loop next weekend, June 21 through 23rd and would like to do it Clockwise from Jerkey Meadow. The sticking point is the crossing at Forks of the Kern on the last day. If we get all the way around and can't cross it will be a long 20 miles back to the trailhead. The Ranger said that the road to the Forks of the Kern trailhead opened today but she has been told to discourage crossing. Anyone been there this time of year before and can give advice or recommend another route? The goal is to see someplace we haven't been before and fish. We only have three days total which is why it would be great to exit at the Forks.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Forks of the Kern Crossing Help

Post by gary c. »

LD,
I have not been down there this early in the year before either but judging by the current flows of the main Kern I don't think you should have any problem. With the main Kern at just over 1500cfs I would think you should be OK. I've always crossed in the fall and the LK was no more than a creek. It might be a good idea to take a piece of rope to just to be on the safe side. If you really couldn't cross the LK rather than completely retrace your route you would probably be better off backtracking untill you find a place to cross the main(probably Kern Flats bridge :( ) then hike to Durwood Camp and the cable crossing there. The trail from Durrwood camp will take you to Peppermint Creek CG and is an easier climb than the Forks trail. The problem with the PC trail is that it takes you across a private ranch that does not like people hiking through but I've never heard of them turning anyone around that was comming up from the river but they were made to circle around the ranch a little.
Gary C.

Here is a post with some pictures and discussion about the landowners from a trip I made there last month. One of the reply's is from a guy that made the same kind of trek you have planned. http://www.kernriverflyfishing.com/cgi- ... 1165/13#13
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray