Bear Cannisters....

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Packtofish
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Bear Cannisters....

Post by Packtofish »

I usually try to stay away from anywhere that requires cannisters but, this year I'm branching out and using a can looks to be inevitable. I think I'm going to purchase one and I'm out of the loop on what the best lightweight models are.

What the best ultralight can or sack out there that can handle a 7+ day outing? Light and as unobtrusive as possible are my priorities.

Anybody have any they are looking to part with? :unibrow:

Thanks,
Dave
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Bear Cannisters....

Post by Shawn »

Hey Dave -

Noticed you're in SLO (I'm in Paso). I have a Bear Vault which I have only used once and probably will never use again. I don't have the box for it anymore but I got this thing when I was entering Kings Canyon last year and was forced to swap my solo Bear Vault for a newer (larger) Bear Vault to meet regulations. I have since purchased a new solo BV thus eliminating my need for the larger one.

Anyway, if you're interested in the thing let me know.

Shawn
Packtofish
Topix Acquainted

Post by Packtofish »

Doesn't get much easier than that! :partyman:

PM sent.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Sean,
I'm not sure why you had to get a new BV but I assume it was because the older lids are not approved in some areas. If that is the case your old solo BV can still be used in most areas or you could have just gotten a replacement (new model) lid. I understand you are covered now but I thought I would put it out there in case others didn't know.
Gary C.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Hi Gary -

Thanks for sharing the info.

The rangers actually had me turnover the solo BV when I opted for the newer BV. You're right though, the lid became an issue apparently. I was impressed with the fact they had stacks of 'new in the box' BV's available at the Roads End permit station and was otherwise a hassle free situation.

Shawn
trav867
Topix Regular

Post by trav867 »

I bought a solo BV at the beginning of last season- does that meet current regulations?
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

....Probably

Have a look at the chart at the bottom of the manufacturers website:

http://www.bearvault.com/bearvault_details.php
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

I copied this from one of the pages on the link that Sean posted above.

RAE LAKES CANISTER SWAP PROGRAM:
BearVault models BV350 and higher are now fully approved for use in all SIBBG controlled areas and can be used without restrictions in the Rae Lakes drainage basin in Kings Canyon National Park and throughout the Sierras. These models can be identified by a large red decal on the lid with the model number displayed prominently on this decal. If you do not have this red decal on the lid, then you have one of the earlier models listed below that are restricted from use in the Rae Lakes drainage basin in Kings Canyon National Park.

Currently hikers to the Rae Lakes drainage basin Rae Lakes drainage basin in Kings Canyon National Park cannot use the following BearVault bear canister models: BV110B, BV200, BV250 or BV300. There were 8 break-ins during the summer of 2005 and until more experience is gathered this summer, the use of the above models is not allowed in this area. There are currently no restrictions on the use of these model BearVaults elsewhere in SIBBG controlled areas- they can be used throughout the Sierras and all other locations.

To accommodate BearVault customers who wish to hike in the Rae Lakes drainage basin in Kings Canyon National Park and who own one of the earlier restricted model canisters listed above, the following swap-out program is available. Starting in early June, when a hiker shows up at either the Road’s End Permit Station/Cedar Grove Ranger Station (tel 559-565-3790) in Kings Canyon National Park or the Lone Pine Ranger Station (tel 760-876-6200) to pick up their back country permit for the Rae Lakes area of Kings Canyon National Park, you must inform your permit issuer that you need to exchange your bear canister. If the hiker has a BearVault model BV110B, BV200, BV250 or BV300, the ranger will then exchange your existing BearVault with a new full size BearVault model while supplies last. The supply of full size BearVaults will be replenished throughout the summer, however occasionally the permitting stations may run out. This will allow the hiker who already owns an early model BearVault to enjoy the Rae Lakes area with an approved BearVault canister.

This swap-out program is only available for hikers picking up their backcountry permit to hike the Rae Lakes drainage basin in Kings Canyon National Park. If you are going elsewhere, your current BearVault canister is fully approved and can be used without restrictions.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

The Bear Vault is good, but if cost is no object, the Bearikade <http://www.wild-ideas.net/index2.html> ($275 for the expedition size, which really does hold 10 person-days worth of food if you pack carefully) is unbeatable for weight and durability. You can rent Bearikades at a reasonable cost if you don't need to own them -- did that on the JMT four years ago and a bear rolled the thing out of camp, jumped up and down on it dozens of times, and rolled it down a small cliff, all with no damage whatsoever (except to a package of pudding on the inside -- oh, well, I liked pudding-flavored scrambled eggs anyway).

-B2
Last edited by BSquared on Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
don norton
Topix Acquainted

Post by don norton »

Dave I am from Georgia and do not have a need for one but last year I did the JMT and had to have one. You can rent one at the ranger station but they are heay so I rented one from wild-ideas last year it rented for $55.00 + postage. You can get a JMT rate no matter how long you have it 1 day or 30 days still the same price well worth it. Not only lighter but they hold more. Good luck and have a great hike