JMT Sept 8-19 what to expect?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
stevet
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

JMT Sept 8-19 what to expect?

Post by stevet »

Looks as if events are conspiring to push my summer trek plans into September. I've never backpacked the Sierra this late in the season so am asking for advice, info on what to expect, etc. one to help me decide if I should attempt it, and two how to plan for it.

Thanks, Steve
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Re: JMT Sept 8-19 what to expect?

Post by LMBSGV »

I find September one of the best times to travel in the Sierra. There are a lot fewer people, no mosquitoes, and creek crossings are easier. The only drawbacks are shorter days and colder nights. Outside of allowing for the colder nights, you don’t need to plan any differently than in August. You should have a great trip.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by The Other Tom »

I found this book http://www.amazon.com/Getaway-Guide-Joh ... 247&sr=8-4
to be a good read describing a journey on the JMT in Sept. It also includes planning and equipment recommendations.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

We did the JMT in Aug/Sept of 2001. We had one day of rain at Muir Ranch, and one day of snow flurries (on 9/11) on Split Mountain. I would do it again at the same time.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jimqpublic
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by jimqpublic »

I agree it's a great time- no mosquitoes and no crowds. You give up green meadows and roaring waterfalls.

Be prepared for snow! I think it was 1987 when I XC skied on over 2' of fresh snow near Mammoth. Usually the snow will start melting fairly soon but you might be slogging through wet snow for a week. I suggest a bit of extra food, gaiters, and if you're using light shoes extra socks, Sealskinz, and/or neoprene socks.
stevet
Topix Regular

Post by stevet »

Thanks all. Did some checking and MTR is still planning to be opening when I pass through. If this gets that far I may take advantage of one of their one night stays. But at the very least should be able to resupply.

I do hike in trail runners and was planning on bringing along warmer socks though the seal skins or neoprene sound interesting especially should it be cold.

Steve