Route Planning Assistance

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
dmdhiker
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Route Planning Assistance

Post by dmdhiker »

Hello everyone. I'm in the final phases of planning a Sierra visit and would appreciate some input from the collective wisdom of those here. My only experience in the area was a JMT thru-hike a few years back. I enjoyed the trek so much that I wanted to show my wife some of what I have been raving about for years. I have most of our trip planned and made reservations for 2 different treks. She is not the stongest hiker so I added extra time so as not to push her. Our first trip starts July 31, South Lake to North Lake in 6 nights/7 days. Our permit reservation for our second trip is as follows, in at Agnew Meadows and out at Tuolumne. Due to logistics, not having a car, we will go in and hike out at mammoth to avoid the effort to get back to mammoth after our hike. This trip is for 4 nights/5 days. Will probably set up a base camp around 1000 islands and stay put and explore the surroundings. I am looking forward to trying my luck with some fishing. I quess I don't have many questions concerning these two trips other than maybe some special places of interest along the way.

My route planning question comes after my wife flies home and I take two weeks or so and do a couple of other trips, possibly of a more challenging nature. I seriously concidered another JMT thru-hike but thought some exploration of Yosemite might be as rewarding, plus I get to see new country. My general plan is for two trips of about a week in length, the first being a trek going in at Lyell and explore and fish the high lakes in the Cathedral Range and make my way west and try to bag half dome and clouds rest. Probably a 6 or 7 day trip. I've read previous threads here concerning this area so I have some idea of a route. How does this sound...with nights at Ireland Lake, Vogelsang or Bernice Lake, Merced Lake, Little Yosemite Valley or there about, climb half dome and clouds rest and based on time left in the day, Sunrise Lakes, and out. Would probably add a day for extra good fishing or bad weather. Is this too ambitious or doable? I would appreciate any "must sees" on this route and the best trails to take. Also any fishing tips of the area.

My second trip will probable be the Yosemite Northern Loop out of Twins Lakes unless someone has a better suggestion. Five nights/six days for this one with the possibly of an extra day added in. No glaring questions on this one other than some insider info on cool places to check out. I'm also interested in some easier cross-country type stuff either as a day hike, which I plan to do while camped 1000 islands area, or as part of our travel, like Ediza Lake to Minaret Lake on our return. I may/should try to spend a few days in the valley. Also where to stay, cheap and clean, in Bishop? I quess I'm trying to figure out how much time is needed to do the above so I can lock in a return flight soon, the arrival date is set. Thanks for any help in advance. Cheers. :partyman: Michael
dmdhiker
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Route Planning Assistance

Post by dmdhiker »

Received an email from markskor with answers to some of my more urgent questions. I can now lock in my return flight, a little later than I thought but as markskor stated, the place is"...just too pretty to rush through". Seems a little pricey but markskor offered to let me in on some of his favorite secret fishing spots for $100 per location. He says it's the going rate. I quess the check will be in the mail. Do I get a refund if I don't catch any fish? :lol:
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Route Planning Assistance

Post by markskor »

Check is in the mail ? I will believe that when...
Anyway, glad to help in any way.
FyI, About fishing these mighty Sierra waters, I can tell you where they are, but how to snag them, well, that's another "solo hiking" story in the making -
...easier to show or explain while up there...Pass the fatty!
As for me, the wife still says go, so I am...8 more class days until school is out.
First...June 25th...a few nights in Desolation, then -
Leaving July 5th for a month of Tuolumne meanderings...
Figure on a few 10- day long adventures.
The pack is ready...
Who knows where my trail leads...but I will think about you all while lakeside-
15 miles in.
markskor
Mountainman who swims with trout