Lyle Fork snow?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
buster
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Lyle Fork snow?

Post by buster »

We are planning a trip up the Lyle Fork and down Raffery on the 4th of June.
I was wondering about the snow level and if anyone here had any info.
Thanks
Buster
Allyn
Topix Acquainted

Re: Lyle Fork snow?

Post by Allyn »

It snowed up at Tuolumne Meadows last weekend (Memorial Day). Got about 6 inches of new stuff at the meadows and more up on the mountains. Much of the new stuff will likely have melted by then but I would guess you will run into snow on the ground for this trip. Not sure how deep, but probably a few feet at least on the north slopes in the shade.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

I just got back earlier today from a trip up in the area. In Lyell the snow was patchy and not really even in need of mention. What was more of a nuisance was the amount of standing water in Lyell, making one wade through puddle after puddle. Rafferty Creek was snow free/patchy for quite some time, but around 9500 (a rough guess) the snow became constant, with mostly solid coverage all around. I camped at Fletcher Lake, and there were a number of snow free camp spots. The lakes up there were still frozen solid. The good thing about dealing with the snow though was that there were very few (actually no) people. Have fun!
buster
Topix Newbie

Post by buster »

thanks for the info. It helps with our decision making.