Sierra High Route: Tough Passes?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Sierra High Route: Tough Passes?

Post by Snow Nymph »

Thanks, Dave. SnowDude and I took different routes after a few close calls. At one point I heard rockfall and saw the dust cloud and was yelling for him (no answer). I thought I lost him! He didn't hear me even though we weren't that far apart. It was a pretty 'exciting' climb down for the first section. It was easier once we got down to the snow. The other side of the pass was pretty mellow.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve Bearman
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Steve Bearman »

I've done most of the High Route, and I have to say, I am a fan of following the route. Roper makes interesting choices informed by decades of deepening his relationship with the Sierras. Following his route has helped me to learn how to think about my own routes. So, I can relate with the folks who say there's no need to stay true to the route, but I am a voice in the other direction.

I have not done Frozen Lake pass, so I can't speak to it. Cirque Pass is easy, only requiring some thoughtful routefinding on the way up. Snow Tongue Pass, on the other hand, is in my top 3 most difficult passes. Worse, I'm sure it's not the same as when I was last there, as it seems to be a pass in a constant state of flux. There were four of us crossing. We made for the low point and descended from there. It was really only the first 50 feet or so that gave us trouble: loose dirt over bare rock. Our main concern was not knocking rocks down on each other. It took a long time to go one at a time, carefully, across each difficult stretch, and it helped that we had camped at the tarn just below the South side of the pass, so we had plenty of time.

All that said, I suspect you're perfectly capable of navigating the passes, and you'll only get better as you travel Northward. On the segments of the High Route I have done, I have never brought, or needed, an ice axe or crampons. In a dry year like this one, you should be fine. If you omit snow gear, just make sure that any time you're worried about steep snowfields, you plan to cross them in the middle of the day when the snow is soft.

Have I been encouraging enough?
Matilda
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Matilda »

Thanks for the encouragement, Steve! I can't wait to start hiking!