Champion Mine TR

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mountaineer
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Champion Mine TR

Post by mountaineer »

Packed up there with my son last weekend. One of the better short trips I have been on. What a place! A geologists dream!

http://jodylangford.tripod.com/spark_pl ... g-back?i=0
try
Founding Member

Re: Champion Mine TR

Post by try »

Thanks for posting that Mountaineer. I really enjoyed looking at your pics. Sounds like you had a good time.
How do you make reservations, and how much were the cabins?

Try
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

No reservations...no cost. Only one other person showed up while we were there. They are very rustic cabins...we put a groundcloth on the floor and slept on that..the beds were very spungy and scroungy. Remember, this place was in use from the 20's until 1946...very cool to take a steep hike up a trail and end up in another century. :)
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

That is a very special place indeed. I'm glad you were able to enjoy it. I first hiked there in my geology field camp in 1980. I returned there with my wife and colleague in the late 80's and I remember thinking how cool it must be to camp up there.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

I first went on May of '03 and weathered a pretty decent snow storm! Here is the inside of the cabin we stayed in...

Here is the outside of the cabin. Look closely at the rock face above...near the right side skyline you can make out a hole...that is a mine shaft that busted out from the back side to that face. It is about 500' straight down and about 1500' to the cabins.

Here is the camp from that opening...