The earliest that a TM to YV bp can be done?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sierranomad
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

The earliest that a TM to YV bp can be done?

Post by sierranomad »

OK, I know asking this is a tall order, as there are variables.

But I know someone that is coming this year and wants to see Yosemite. He wants to bp from Tuolumne Meadows to Yosemite Valley (either via Sunrise Lakes, Clouds Rest or Vogelsang). He also wants to see the waterfalls while still flowing and as impressive as possible.

I know this is a give and take. When I bp from TM to YV, I go in late Summer or in Fall so I don't know what time of year the trails are typically snow free. I'd like to know if anyone has a ballpark figure on this?

Thank you.

Jon
MooseTracks
Topix Regular

Re: The earliest that a TM to YV bp can be done?

Post by MooseTracks »

Unless you want to slog up from Lee Vining, I think you have to wait until they open TIoga Pass Rd (Hwy 120). The speculation on an opening date has already started on this side of the hill, since they just opened Monitor Pass last weekend. If you keep an eye on the Yosemite website, it should give some updates of dates:

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wroads.htm

At the moment, there's no anticipated opening date. Poop! :crybaby:

-L :cool:
"Why do I climb? Quite simply because the mountains and I had to meet." - Colette Richard

http://www.flickr.com/photos/moosepics621
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Even if Tioga Road opens in June, and thats a big if, you'll still have some snow above
8500 ft.
Snow free trails and spectacular falls usually do not coincide. To get the best of
Waterwheel and LeConte Falls for example you have to see them within the first 2
weeks after Tioga opens or hike up Grand Canyon of the Toulumne before it opens.
I went to the western part of Yosemite out of Hetch Hetchy back towards the Bearup Lake
area last year and the lakes were still frozen at 8500 ft and there was 6 ft of snow and it
was a below average snow year.
Year before that, again in May, the Clouds Rest trail was solid snow above 8200 ft and
the JMT from the Upper Merced Trail-JMT junction down to the JMT-Clouds Rest Trail
junction was still covered in snow.
sierranomad
Topix Acquainted

Post by sierranomad »

Thanks guys!
Sierra Maclure
Topix Regular

Post by Sierra Maclure »

My experience is that soon after the road is open, crossing the outlet of Tenaya Lake to begin the Sunrise Lakes trail requires a boat. And then, cuz it's on a north facing slope, there's a foot of snow on the other side.

My calculation (guess) is that the road opens last weekend in May. :nod: