Newbie in town.

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Nevergetlost
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Newbie in town.

Post by Nevergetlost »

Hello all,

I am new to the boards but not to the Sierras. I have been skiing/camping/hiking/fishing the sierras for 30 years. I am an avid adventurer that enjoys the outdoors and photography. I ran across this site tonight and found it very useful and intriguing with a friendly community. I have not been able to make a trip in the winter/summer for almost 2 years :crybaby: due to not having time off of my daily job and a few bumps in the road. The wife and I decided to set off on another adventure in the first week of July with a few close friends. Unfortunatly our best friend ( dog ), is getting older ( 15 ) and he cannot get around like he use to, so we will not be hiking as much this time around. He has a lower lumbar problem and I can not leave him behind, as the sierras is his happy place and he might not have enough time for anymore adventures. So I decided to keep it simple this year and visit a few places that I have not seen in a few years. I was thinking of Yosemite but to get a good site now would almost be impossible so I turned to my favorite town in the world ( Mammoth ). I am coming into town around the last week of June to the first week of july and was thinking of staying at either Minaret falls campground or Sherwin Creek campground. Seems that both sites will be busy due to the holiday. Since I have not been camping in the area for about 2 years any thoughts, ideas or alternates would be of great appreciation. Oh, on a side note I can smell the sweet smell of Schatt's just around the corner, and a long awaited dinner at Roberto's :D Thanks
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Newbie in town.

Post by hikerduane »

Welcome Nevergetlost. A former dog lover here, lost my buddy about four years ago to cancer:( No suggestions around Mammoth, I am only in the immediate area for a night when heading into the backcountry and then I stay out of town a short ways. After a week long trip, I just pass by Schatt's when thru Bishop, I don't know if they would like my odor and it is a long drive north to get home. I had dinner at a bar-b-cue place there last summer, lots of locals there it looked like, but I didn't care for it that much. Lots of parking behind it, can't remember the name.
Piece of cake.
Nevergetlost
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Re: Newbie in town.

Post by Nevergetlost »

Thank you for the welcome and info Hikerduane. I am looking forward to being able to once again enjoy the sierras.