Marmots in Mineral King

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Steve Bearman
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Steve Bearman »

The worst thing is the giant marmots - not much you can do to protect your car from them!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Image

At least they're friendly. Here's my wife posing with one.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

DoyleWDonehoo wrote: ...Going over Sawtooth Pass from Mineral King is just cruel and unusual punishment. They have "improved" the trail from the lake to the pass some recently, but it is still a sliding mess.
Yeah as bad as slogging up the gruss to Lamarck Col from Darwin Canyon. With the huge weight I carry, my boots sink in even more. I habitually wake up at dawn in the backcountry and would likely be stumbling up the modest 1400 feet up route from Monarch well before sunrise so it would at least be in pleasant cool shade. Even if I wasn't interested in doing some photography by Monarch there is no way I could go over the 4k pass in one day like many do. 3k vert is about my limit carrying 70 pounds or more.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Shawn »

Wow Dave, 70 pounds - now that's backpacking.

I agree with Doyles comments about Sawtooth Pass, but then again I've been up it more times than I care to admit so I am apparently not the brighest guy in the back country. :D

And Moutaineer - you now have me thinking about that snow gully on Florence too!

PS. Damn, that is one big honking Marmot
ndwoods
Founding Member

Post by ndwoods »

Wow, that Giant Marmot is pretty scary...are they just at the trailhead?:)
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;