Any trips in mind yet?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Sierra Maclure
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Sierra Maclure »

You go Snowy!
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Much as one has to love Snowy, I think I'm beginning to hate her :mad:

;) Not really, of course, but I sure am envious!!!
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by TehipiteTom »

Leading a Sierra Club trip this year--it'll be a slightly longer version of the LeConte Divide trip I did last year. It's billed as "cross-country for beginners". Mt. Shinn Lake, Red Rock Basin, Lake 10200, Ward Mountain Lake.

Otherwise, I'll probably do a 4-5 day trip TBD. All the suggestions people made last summer are possibilities; I'm also considering a Clark Range loop (from the south).

On edit: Oh, and GB, I'd love to hear the details of that last trip option--sounds fascinating, and as Maverick says you may be looking at some territory I've been hoping to get into. That lake NE of Emerald is awesome, btw: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomhilton/200458122/

If you need any Kid Lakes info, let me know. I love that basin.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Ooops, it is Bonita, not Bonnie. That option stays west of the LeConte Divide (after crossing near Bonita/Turf Lakes) until going back over at Hell for Sure Pass. There are a bunch of west-facing lakes I'd like to put a line in such as Turf Lakes, Davis, Diamond X, and Dale L. After dropping into the canyon it would be back up the other side for a very long traverse on the high bench above Goddard Canyon. Then wrap around the corner into lakes 10554 and 10918 N and NE of Emerald. Hopefully some time to explore the unnamed lakes in three cirques to the east (L11335 is on the bench), too.

For the Kid Lakes trip, it would be Grouse L. via Copper Creek, then Kid Lakes (both forks of Kid Creek), Glacier Lakes plus or minus State Peak, Volcanic Lakes and Kennedy Mtn. with the exit via Lewis Creek or a double back to Grouse L. and out Copper Creek.

For the Cirque option (the one I'm leaning toward right now) It's Bear Creek Diversion Dam to Marcella then Cirque, then Apollo, then Orchid, Three Island (possible layover for Senger and Gemini; Seven Gables for members of groups who haven't climbed it; otherwise the first two are picked off en route to Lower Turret), over to Lower Turret, possible Pinnacles Creek area exploration, with possible option of Ramona Lake for day 4 campsite (if Lower Turret turns out to be a dud fishing wise).
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Take-a-Hike
Topix Acquainted

Post by Take-a-Hike »

This will be 4th year backpacking for wife 'n I. Two trips, usually, per year...I know, some get more than that in in a month. I've got our 4th of July trip planned, heading from Courtright up to Bench Valley, laying over to do day hike to Blackcap basin. Then will head to Red Mt Basin and out via Hell 4 Sure Pass. Probably make it a 5 niter. After that our August trip will be from Edison Lake again, I just can't make up my mind where. We did a Silver Divide trip kind of like Doyle Donohoe's chronicles, and our first BP trip ever was a two niter to Mott Lake. I would really like to see the Bear Creek trail, go to Lake Italy, up 'n over to the 2nd Recess and out again, but need to see if I can talk the folks at Vermillion into a ride to the trail head. The other option is again to Mott Lake the possible X country to either Laurel or Hopkins Creeks then out that way. I've read accounts here that it's possible to do. Our first year to Mott Lake, heavy snow year...we were rookies so any snow field looked intimidating. Mott was half floating w/ice & snow, again over the 4th of July. But weather was nice.
I"ve learned after last summers mis-adventures that I need to idiot proof my winter plans by someone over 55 or I pay for it having to listen to my wife. Our 2nd trip last August was Lamark Col, down past the Darwin Basin, trying to get to McGhee Lakes then back out same way. She informed me she wasn't about to do those Darwin Lakes and up to the Col again, so we went out via Piute Pass. Nice trip, thank God I had plenty of maps and food. Things look so darned easy on a map! We did spend a nite at Evolution which was insisted upon by a couple we met on the trail. Camped right on the edge by the outlet..nice view. So we can at least say we've been there/done that.
Keep the ideas coming...one thing I've learned...my plans change every time a storm rolls in and I'm house bound.
Perry
MooseTracks
Topix Regular

Re: Any trips in mind yet?

Post by MooseTracks »

Oh, man, you should see the binders. :eek: I've taken a page out of Snowy's book and resolved to "get out" every weekend. Besides, now that I live in Bishop it's a nice launching pad! I think I'd like to bag a few more 14ers to add to the champagne bottle collection: maybe Sill, Split, White, and I think Shasta is on the list for my 35th birthday in June. I hope to get a one week trip out there, and I've been reading Roper's book, so maybe a section of that? Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne also comes to mind...

I'm also working with my new boss to maybe shift my schedule to a 9x80, getting every other Friday off. That would make it great for dayhike weekends and backpack weekends!

-Laura :cool:
"Why do I climb? Quite simply because the mountains and I had to meet." - Colette Richard

http://www.flickr.com/photos/moosepics621
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Im envious of those of you who live in Mammoth and Bishop!!!!!
I tried convincing my wife several years ago to move to Bishop
but the answer I got was "you'll be moving by yourself", so that
snuffed that idea.
Sounds like some fun trips GB, I included Volcanic Lakes in my
Slide and Swamp Lakes hike several years ago. I went over
Harrington Pass and exited Lewis Creek hitching a ride back to
the Grizzly Lakes Trailhead.
Slide Lakes are beautiful and the Volcanic Lakes from the lowest
to the highest are fun to explore.
Takeahike, if you visit Second Recess make sure you visit Lower and
Upper Mills Creek Lakes it will be the highlight of your trip!
Rosabella
Founding Member

Post by Rosabella »

Well.....My plan for this summer is to do a JMT thru hike. I know... I know... I tried it two summers ago, and three summers before that, and three summers before that....but each time I had to exit sections of the trail for killer blisters, boots falling apart, or health concerns.

It's hard to explain why I need to do it.... there are a lot of reasons. It's just something I really want... really need... to do. I'm gonna take a couple extra days for some side trips - something I've not done in the past. This will be my summer :).

Rosie

P.S. Hey, Laura.... your "member info" over to the right still says "Los Angeles".... you're not thinking of moving back, are you? :eek:
Mike McGuire
Founding Member

Post by Mike McGuire »

I have in mind an extended fishing trip after Sierra Nevada trout in their native habitats. These would be the Kern River rainbows. the Golden Trout Creek goldens and the south fork of the Kern goldens . So what I am thinking of is getting at the headwaters of the Kern up near Lake South America. While I could do this by going over Shepherd Pass, my appetite for that much unrelieved suffering is limited. So to my mind, less punishing, more interesting and with good fishing, would be in over Kearsarge Pass and down the Muir trail over Forester. I have done that before, and will gladly do it again. That's about two days worth. From there I would fish my way down the Kern for two or three days (hot spring along the way according to the map) ending up where Golden Trout Creek joins the Kern. From there I would follow the trail along the creek, stopping at the divide between it and the the south fork of the Kern. The creek and the south fork are only a short distance apart there separated by a lava flow estimated maybe 10,000 years old which resulted in different races if not species of goldens in their separated waters. I will hope to catch examples of each as well as the Kern River rainbows. Finally I will come out over Cottonwood Pass to Horseshoe Meadows. I am thinking of about 9 or 10 days for the whole thing. The main thing I will need to work out is a shuttle between the trail heads. I'll probably aim a doing this late summer, perhaps early September. It would be nice to include the Little Kern and its goldens, but it doesn't look too practical.

Mike McGuire
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Maverick,
I'll be very keen to hear about the Blue Canyon area (from you and/or trailblazer). My first choice is to follow the footprints you guys (both) left on the backside of the Kaweahs. The nice thing about that area is that there is just no easy way to get there. And, that undoubtedly contributes to your accounts of how pristine it was in that vast playground on the northern flanks of the Kaweahs. Then, if the mountain gods are kind, I'd also like to ping-pong down the ridge that connects Black Giant and Rambaud Peak, something I've dreamt about a lot, and was further inspired to do by your account from last year. And, if the reports are favorable, (and, to keep the theme going) I'll probably aim for Blue Canyon next year. Again, regardless of how you plan to get to that area, it's a long walk!
Cheers!
cameron