Any trips in mind yet?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Any trips in mind yet?

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Maverick,
I'll be very keen to hear about the Blue Canyon area (from you and/or trailblazer). My first choice is to follow the footprints you guys (both) left on the backside of the Kaweahs. The nice thing about that area is that there is just no easy way to get there. And, that undoubtedly contributes to your accounts of how pristine it was in that vast playground on the northern flanks of the Kaweahs. Then, if the mountain gods are kind, I'd also like to ping-pong down the ridge that connects Black Giant and Rambaud Peak, something I've dreamt about a lot, and was further inspired to do by your account from last year. And, if the reports are favorable, (and, to keep the theme going) I'll probably aim for Blue Canyon next year. Again, regardless of how you plan to get to that area, it's a long walk!
Cheers!
cameron
vaughnm
Founding Member

Post by vaughnm »

A friend and I will be thru hiking the JMT from Yosemite to Whitney starting Aug 3rd. We started this trip last year, and he had problems with his achilles tendon, so we bailed out at Mammoth.

We' decided that a less strenous pace might make things easier, so it's a thirteen day trip this time, with resupplies in Tuolumne Meadows, Reds Meadow and Muir Trail Ranch.

Mike
Sierra Maclure
Topix Regular

Post by Sierra Maclure »

13 days for the JMT is easier?!!! That's about 17-mile days! Sheesh. You gonna do anything but hike? :eek: Maybe I'm just getting old but 10-mile days are my max especially day after day. Heh, but if you're up for it, go for it. I've never been one to instill defeat for a grand endeavor.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Sierra,

Some of us folks like hiking fast, the last time I did the JMT(2002) I finished in
8 days and that including a layover day at Rae Lakes to meet a friend.
I felt quite good at the end and believe I could have done it even faster.
Obviously it becomes an endurance test, but I still enjoyed the scenery just the same.
I considered doing it again 2 years later, but Im so totally into x-country now that my
trail days are used primarily for getting to my jump-off point into the untrailed wilderness.
Also moving faster means less weight to carry, I resupplied at MR, my pack weight was about
18lbs on the longer MR to Whitney section(5 days).
Sierra Maclure
Topix Regular

Post by Sierra Maclure »

Well, I am impressed. Backpacker Mag had a big article a few months back on some folks who did it in a week and it sounded like death by blisters. My hat's off to you.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks Sierra. Both your Darwin Bench and Bear Lakes areas are fun. I assume
your going in from Lamarck Col which is quite an experience itself the view down
into Darwin Canyon is quite beautiful, though the descent down is quite tedious and
slow going.
Nice pic's on his website.
Hi CG, Im looking forward to the Blue Canyon trip to ,it looks like GB will be exploring
the northern end of Goddard near Emerald Peak and TB and I on the southern end.
I hope you get to Kaweah Basin sometime this year, Im sure you'll be blown away with
its beauty as I was the first time I saw it.
vaughnm
Founding Member

Post by vaughnm »

Sierra,
I'll second maverick on the pace. The same friend and I did this trip (but south to north) in 2003, starting from Horseshoe Meadows. We did the 240 miles in 16 days, and that include 5 half days (ok, so 10 mile days). We're not ultralight, but we were below 30 lbs starting weight. Never felt like we were pushing the pace, and most days we got hit by rain, so there was a bit of down time there. So, I'm pretty comfortable with the pace. Getting the pack weight down to 25 lbs or so really made the difference for me. The knees and feet don't hurt so much in the afternoon, which makes the day so much nicer.

Mike
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

Nothing firm, somewhere east side central/northern Sierra (not Tahoe). A long weekend towards Fall.

The big trip in the planning stage is the Oregon Siskiyous in June.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

I called after work today and got reservations for a eight day trip over Bishop Pass in late July. Heading into country maverick went thru last year. Palisade Basin, Lakes Basin, Dusy Basin etc. Looks like a tough trip, so we will see how I do. Trying to cut a few pounds off the pack weight, but with my chair and an ice axe I think, I'll be a little over 30 lbs. If I carry less water, I can shave a little weight.

So far, I am invited to Lassen over July 4th, nothing else planned by me, take them as them come.

Sierra Maclure, I belong to a small group that goes out year round, most live in Sac, the valley and the bay area, if you need/want someone to go on winter trips with, either in the mountains or the coast.
Piece of cake.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

We probably won't make it all the way out to the Sierra this summer, but we've got a wedding to go to in Laramie so I'm thinking we might do a short trip in the Winds. Anybody been to Titcomb Basin? This looks like about a 5-day hike to me: two days to Island Lake (remember: we'll be acclimated to 0 feet!), one day to day-hike to Titcomb and explore, and then two out. I'd be delighted if anyone on this board could provide more information, and/or any other suggestions for a relatively short trip into the Winds.