Satellite messenger ?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
frediver
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by frediver »

Gee, not having a phone and being alone are some of the reasons I like backpacking.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Re: Spot

Post by The Other Tom »

frediver wrote:The price of the unit is not that big a deal but the continuing price of service charges is the deal breaker for me.
I dont need anymore easy monthly charges to protect me !
How long will it be before we are required to have a device like this whenever we go out?
IMO FRS/GMRS handie talkies should have a signal feature built into the units.
I suppose if you went out every month then it could get to be expensive. But, there is a monthly pay as you go plan...$10/mo. For people like me who only hike in the summer, then it's not too bad.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

I will be getting the Spot soon, probably this week. After not being able to contact anyone a few weeks ago to say "I'm ok", I decided its probably best to get one. SnowDude knows I can take care of myself, but when I missed work and didn't (couldn't) call, he was a 'little' concerned.

My friend Jay got one, and he's a GPS geek so I am confident it will be a good thing to have.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

Trailbud got one, he sent me a pre typed text message that he was allright. You can put several phone #s in to get a message, this will let those worried know you are just going to be late.
Leaving the 911 call for, help me now!
Trail Bud
Topix Acquainted

SPOT

Post by Trail Bud »

I just got a Spot locator about a week ago. I like the goggle map link feature which makes it simple for the recipent to see the location. I also got the recovery insurance for $7.00 That's a good deal.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Re: Satellite messenger ?

Post by LMBSGV »

My wife also thought this sounded pretty good for my solo trips. So I emailed Spot sales about whether they have shorter terms plans than the one year and received the following reply:

"An annual service agreement is our only activation package available. It words out as $8.33 per month, not too costly."

I guess some people don't quite understand what living within a limited budget entails.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

LMBSGV wrote:My wife also thought this sounded pretty good for my solo trips. So I emailed Spot sales about whether they have shorter terms plans than the one year and received the following reply:

"An annual service agreement is our only activation package available. It words out as $8.33 per month, not too costly."

I guess some people don't quite understand what living within a limited budget entails.
Their website says $99.99 per year or $9.99 per month. Connect to http://www.findmespot.com/downloads/spe ... _10507.pdf
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

I emailed SPOT sales about that spec info. They replied that the $9.95 a month plan was under consideration, but had not received final approval and so was not yet available. I'm not quite sure why they are posting a spec sheet that has not been approved, but perhaps if we email/write/call saying we are more likely to buy one if there is a monthly plan, they will approve it. Or maybe the sales department doesn't know what's going on in the rest of the company. Has anyone else contacted them directly about this?
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com