SEKI Snow levels

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Strider
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

SEKI Snow levels

Post by Strider »

It doesn't look like skiing anytime soon. Does anybody know what westside trails are accessible in the high country?
'Hike long and perspire'
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Strider,
From the webcams available at Sierravisions.com it looks like there is very little snow anywhere from Tahoe south. The few storms that have dumped light snow in the Sierras this autumn have been followed by warm & dry weather. Thus, I'd guess that most trails are still pretty wide open, and that even if there is some snow, it would not amount to enough for a snowman. I suspect that, like you, I'm increasingly tempted to think about risking an overnight or two.....if only to work off the effects of too much turkey, and the prospects of more to come.
cgundersen
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Strider,
Oops, besides the webcams, the other great snow-level resource is at "CDEC", the link that I'll paste below. You can access snow levels (and snow water content) from monitors throughout the Sierras!
cgundersen

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/