A new issue of Sierra Trails

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
JM21760
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A
Location: Carson City, NV. Former Tahoe South Shore, 25 years.

Post by JM21760 »

I'm a big fan of Big Five, and beyond.
Buck Forester
Founding Member

Post by Buck Forester »

Boy, that's a tough question, but the country around (and beyond) Big/Little 5 Lakes is so incredible! Personally that's what I'd like to see next, but I wouldn't be disappointed in any of them.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

Doyle,
I have done extensive variations on the Vogelsang loop - I guess you mean Rafferty - Boothe - Vogelsang HSC - Vogelsang peak - - Upper and Lower Townsend/ Fletcher - Evelyn - Hanging Basket - Ireland - Lyell Fork and back- ( or the other way around).
I look forward to seeing your slant, There is always a good chance that I can pick up something new in the area through your eyes...and maybe I can help you too in what you might have missed when you walked by...lol. I look forward to this.
Mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

markskor wrote: ...Vogelsang loop - I guess you mean Rafferty - Boothe - Vogelsang HSC - Vogelsang peak - - Upper and Lower Townsend/ Fletcher - Evelyn - Hanging Basket - Ireland - Lyell Fork and back- ( or the other way around).
Mark
I am following all suggestions. I wonder which I will do? :lol:

The Vogelsang idea is partly what I have done, and what I want to do. What I want to do is get to the Lyell Fork of the Merced and take some A. Adams-like shots of the likewise mountain and explore the basin (and it would be nice to find someone to go with me - my pards health may not allow him to go...ever again). Due to some bad timing and other problems, I managed to do (and re-do parts) the Lewis/Fletcher Creek loop (and not get to Lyell Fork), which in this case would be the "Vogelsang Loop". Perhaps if I can get to Lyell Fork this year (3 days out, 2 days back min), I might be able to include Evelyn Lake trail. Whatever. This year may be strange.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Buck Forester
Founding Member

Post by Buck Forester »

Hey Doyle, if the timing ever worked out, I'd be honored to take a crazy backpacking trip with you!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

Would not mind coming along either; figured I can always learn another trick or two from you two masters. I may not be fast... but I am slow.
mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

I will keep you guys in mind. :nod: With the above, I would have to say, even though I am in my 50's and have maybe lost a step on the uphill, I still can hike most people into the ground and the guy I have been hiking with could leave just about anyone in the dust in the uphill. Last year I hiked with a 20-something guy and he was totaled. These days I try to keep hiking days (morning starts above 8000 feet) under 12 miles and 2000 feet or so of gain per day, sometimes more after I become acclimated. Last year on a first day I did about 2500 feet and almost 11 miles to 11,600 feet and that was probably overdoing it. No brag: there are those that can do more (far more!), and sometimes I do less than the above (See my stories and the mileages), in particular first days after a long drive. I just don't want to give anyone the wrong idea about what could be in the cards more often than not. Happy trails indeed. :cool:
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

Two posts went missing. I don't know why. Just FYI.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
Buck Forester
Founding Member

Post by Buck Forester »

Doyle, I see your post is dated Friday the 13th, maybe that's why a couple posts mysteriously disappeared! :paranoid:
kennyhel77
Topix Novice

Post by kennyhel77 »

Doyle if you ever need a hiking partner let me know. I too live in San Jose. I am always interested in new people to hike with. Oh and I am quite flexible when it comes to planning and such. :)