Labor Day weekend in Ansel Adams

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Labor Day weekend in Ansel Adams

Post by hikerduane »

Ok, I don't post many of my trips since I catch some friendly flack for not posting photos with them. I used some links my hiking buddies provided to their photos. This trip out of Mammoth, taking off from Agnew Meadows, doing a counter clockwise trip starting on the High Trail, had many ups and downs, one guy cancelled because he had messed his knee up when he was surprised by a body surfacing in the ocean over a week before and even with me cancelling earlier in the week before the trip due to I couldn't make it there in time to beat the gate closure based on wrong info from the FS. We had heard you had to be in the Devels Postpile area before a certain time or wait until the next day or walk/pedal power in. Correct info is, if you go in before 7:00 AM or after 7:30 PM you can drive, still have to pay going in or if not then, then when you exit. We also were told we couldn't park at Agnew Meadows, wrong bad FS. I thought I might have to work until at least 3:30, so when I was able to leave work at 3:00 I jumped all over that. A turn in luck. I was able to hit the ski area in 3 hours, which I thought might take 4 hours from CC. Anyway, we all arrived within minutes of each other in three vehicles at the gate around 6:00 PM, and had to wait until 7:30PM to drive down since we missed the last shuttle in I guess. We had to go in on the High Trail, since the quota for the River Trail was full I guess. Turned out to be a very nice trail, with plentiful water scatterd along the trail, and the view, what can I say but WOW! Excellent views of the Minaret Range the whole time we were on the High Trail. I got to go with Theresa (songbyrd601) and Carol (Sequoia, Bear Crossing) and Tom. Tom was a character, full of laughs. Carol took some excellent photos, http://www.tarol.com/ritter.html and Theresa's showed more of what the country looked like, http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/560557140jrywzG, each with there own talent, artistic view/expression No, I didn't pay Carol to include my old mug.

Carol hikes a little slower, so I hung back with her so she wouldn't have to hike alone. That got me in good with the ladies, married ladies. We had to hike in with our headlamps for a mile before we could camp the first night, not bad the temps were nice, I hiked as usual in my shorts. The first night was one of two nights in which I slept without my Tarptent and I could of used some protection as there was a slight breeze most of the night. I was a little cool, either from lack of a wind break or my early, quick burrito from the mini-market didn't let my body put out much heat.

The last afternoon, they got curious about my bulky looking Golite Gust pack and the gals had to hoist it, they were surprised, it looked bulkier than theirs but weighed much less. My secret. Carol and I heard a plane the last morning, I hope it wasn't Steve Fawcett, I called in the info yesterday. Happy viewing.

Duane
Piece of cake.
madeintahoe
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by madeintahoe »

Duane..What an awesome adventure!! Thank you for sharing it. I always love Carols pictures and report how she puts it all together like she does, she is really good at that.
Both Carols and Theresa's pictures are beautiful....I have not been to that area for at least 14 years I think..we backpacked to Mineret Lake...it is a beautiful area.

How funny about the fish in your pocket in the bag. :eek: I loved the one picture of the three of you on that rock with your hands up..great shot!

Looks like a really nice trip you all had!
Thank you for posting...very enjoyable reading :D
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

Thanks Anita. I didn't open the x for the shot where we held our hands up, forgot about that one. As it was, with my phone lines, it took 2 hours to open up Carol's photos.

Still trying to get ahold of your friend for the bear proof garbage can.
Piece of cake.