Interactive Photo Map

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Interactive Photo Map

Post by copeg »

I haven't been able to get outdoors as much as I'd like, so trying to keep myself sane I spent some time mapping my photos on my website (link below). Its interactive using the google interface, and I added a topo map feature to it. I don't have a sierra only version yet, but you can easily pan and zoom into the areas your interested in. The markers open with thumbnails that link to the image page, as well as a smaller map with photos from that trip alone. Some markers have multiple photos so they open up in a bubble with tabs. Hopefully most of the bugs are worked out - because of the number of markers on the map, it may take a moment to load...

Interactive Photo Map
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by The Other Tom »

Thanks for the hard work. I'll have to explore your site some more when I have some time.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

That's pretty cool! That must have taken a lot of time! I only got to click on a half dozen pix, but will check it out when I have more time.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mountainLight
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by mountainLight »

Nice. I have considered getting a gps just so i could start recording the coordinates when i take pictures. I thought it would be fun to do just this thing some day. Obviously you have a much greater head start. Cool to see all the places you have been.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Holy criminey, I remember going to see the very self-same burrowing owl, years ago (when I lived in Palo Alto). The first time we went to look at it, it wasn't there, but the next time, someone must have set it back up, because we could see it. I'm surprised the thing has lasted so long! :lol:
copeg

Post by copeg »

Thanks all. Its something I've wanted to do for years, so its nice to get it done. Hopefully sometime soon I can add many more :D
BSquared wrote:Holy criminey, I remember going to see the very self-same burrowing owl, years ago (when I lived in Palo Alto). The first time we went to look at it, it wasn't there, but the next time, someone must have set it back up, because we could see it. I'm surprised the thing has lasted so long! :lol:
Ha! I think that one's been there for years. Every year off and on I see it out on its little mound. Last year they nested there and there were half a dozen tiny owls on that little mound.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Actually, on a [slightly] more serious note, does anyone know how long ravens live? I'm curious, because I went up Mt. Whitney for the first time in ... let me see ... probably about 1977, and the second time in 2005 on my son's and my JMT trip. The first time we started at Horseshoe Meadows and came out over Shepherd Pass, so both times we passed the tarn just west of the JMT, a little south of Tawny Point. There was a pair of ravens there both times: could it have been the same pair both times?