Water Situation?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
backpacker92108
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Water Situation?

Post by backpacker92108 »

Water concerns.

I will be doing a loop backpack in mid-September beginning at Cottonwood Lakes. Does anyone know if there is water at Big Whitney Meadow? It has been such a dry year, I am concerned about that spot in particular as I will need water at that point. Is it reliable even in extremely dry years?

My loop will include Cottonwood Lakes, New Army Pass, Soldier Lakes, Miter Basin, Siberian Pass, Big Whitney Meadow, Rocky Basin Lakes, Stokes Stringer, Chicken Spring Lake, Cottonwood Pass, and Horseshoe Meadow. Any suggestions about camping spots or other information is always appreciated.

Thanks.
John
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
Steve Bearman
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Steve Bearman »

When I was on the West side of Whitney about a month ago, I ran into a group that had come via Cottonwood Pass. They said that on the way up to and over the pass, they had to walk 8 trail miles along which no water was to be found. My guess is that the area they were talking about included Big Whitney Meadow. Sorry this is so vague. If I was going your route, I would assume Big Whitney Meadow to be dry unless I heard otherwise.