Need some under 3 miles (one-way) backpacking destinations

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Jeremy
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by Jeremy »

giantbrookie wrote:South-central Sierra, West Side.
1. Upper Twin L., Kaiser Wilderness, from the east side is about 3 mi or a hair less. It's a bit further than the other options listed above, though.
2. Dinkey Lakes are not bad. Mystery Lake is about 2 mi from the trailhead. First Dinkey is a bit far: it's at the 3 mi limit.
Was going to recommend these as well. Did Upper Twin with my wife on her first hike. Had no troubles. The scenery was nice and there are a few places to explore as well. Haven't been to Dinkey Lakes area since I was a kid, but have fond memories of them. Devil's Bathtub is also a great short hike, as already mentioned.
Are you ready boots?
fyton2v
Topix Acquainted

Post by fyton2v »

Wow! What great info! This will be my wife's first overnighter with a backpack and we'll be toting my semi-experienced 9yo daughter and first-timer almost 4yo.

It's the almost 4yo that's the anchor :). I'm sure she can go 2 miles without much prodding. We could probably push it to 3, but that would be the max for the whole day. As far as elevation goes, I'm worried about her getting sick. She's been fine at Mammoth, but that's not very high. Devil's Bathtub seems fantastic, but the walk out may be too far. Lots of info to digest.

Thank you all.
fyton2v
Topix Acquainted

Post by fyton2v »

Little Lakes Valley...

Where is the closest trail head?
AnnieB
Topix Novice

Post by AnnieB »

I have to agree on the Little Lakes Valley suggestion. I went there for 3 nights a few weeks ago and I think it would be great for a kid's first backpacking trip. We stayed at Chickenfoot Lake - very beautiful. Lots of great day hikes there. Also lots of dayhikers but they were the nicest bunch of people you could ever hope to meet and for a first time backpacker I think that could be comforting.
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

I'll second the Weaver lake option, though I think it is about a 3 mile hike.

ken
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
ericZ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by ericZ »

nice suggestions, many of which i need to note for later.

a couple of years ago, i took my 5 year old daughter on a hike along the trail from bridalveil creek campground in yosemite along glacier point rd downstream to where it meets the creek. she did GREAT for the 2 mile walk and looked pretty cute in her little REI daypack and hitech hiking boots. she started walking back but almost immediately, i ended up carrying her on my shoulders the remainder. now at 7, she might be ready for the hike to weaver...

eric
fresno, ca.
fyton2v
Topix Acquainted

Post by fyton2v »

Weaver Lake is one of the few short hikes I knew about, but I'm ruling it out because my older kid and I did Jennie Lake earlier this summer.

Little Lakes Valley is calling....

or maybe something in Yosemite. How difficult will is it to get overnight permits over Labor Day weekend? Lack of available permits for the more scenic destinations might help me make up my mind.
Telkwa
Topix Acquainted

Post by Telkwa »

fyton2v wrote:How difficult is it to get overnight permits over Labor Day weekend?
Well, let's just say you couldn't pick a busier weekend. Coupla years ago, Patti and I picked up our wilderness permit at the Yosemite Park Big Oak Flats entrance as they opened for business a week before Labor Day. There was one party ahead of us. We drove out of the park about the same time in the morning a week later, at the beginning of the Labor Day madness. There were 50+ people in line.

You could take a chance and try to score a "first come first served" permit the morning you want to go. In the Sierra National Forest they hold back 40% of available permits for walk-ins. I've heard that proportion before, so it may be pretty standard. I'd try a National Forest, not a National Park. Someplace less busy. I would imagine East side of the Sierras is likely to be less people standing in line than West side.

If you took a chance on walk-in permits you might want to get there an hour or two before they open...Sierra National Forest offices open at 0800, pretty much the same for others? It'd be disappointing of course to get turned down, but don't know what else to offer.
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

Why the love affair with everything in Yosemite? I stay as far away from that place as possible, especially on weekends and holidays. I have a general rule of thumb and that is to go in on any day other than Fri-Sun and not to backpack in NP's if possible. First-come first-served permits are easy to get that way. Just as nice if not better scenery in millions of destinations other than NP's.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

fyton2v wrote:Little Lakes Valley is calling.... How difficult will is it to get overnight permits over Labor Day weekend? Lack of available permits for the more scenic destinations might help me make up my mind.
I am not sure how difficult a wilderness permit for Little Lakes Valley is on Labor Day weekend, given that the area is justifiably popular and I know all the trailheads out of the Rock Creek/Mosquito Flat area are indeed quota'd. You might call the RS at Bishop to see how quickly the first come first serve permits go (I forget whether this is too late for reserved permits). As a great backup, though, my recollection (someone can correct me if I'm wrong) is that going out of Saddlebag Lake is non quota. Virginia Lakes (Blue, Cooney, etc.) is probably going to be OK as well (likely quota'd, but you're probably OK there). Any trailhead in Yosemite during Labor Day weekend is probably dicey for wilderness permits.

In addition to Saddlebag (non quota'd and OK to camp except for the Conness Lakes and Wasco Lake), there is also the possibility of camping at Shell Lake or the unnamed lake just above it, about 1 mile from the lower part of the Saddlebag road. This will be non quota'd. You can't go further to the somewhat nicer Spuller Lake and environs to camp owing to the fact that it is in the Hall Natural Area (no camping), but one can dayhike in there. Gardisky Lake is a total gem going the other way off the Saddlebag road. I believe it is also non quota'd, absolutely gorgeous, and sees surprisingly few visitors, considering that it is a mere 0.75 mi from the road. The catch with Gardisky is that you gain something like 800 feet in that 0.75 mi. We took my son there when he was 4 and I ended up carrying him the last 30 percent of the way. Your 4-year-old may be a stronger hiker, though.

Anyhow, perhaps a strategy would be to try Little Lakes Valley (still my top choice) and if that doesn't work you can fall back on the Saddlebag area (including the additional two options above). Note for the Saddlebag area you can get wilderness permits at the resort there--you don't have to go all the way over Tioga Pass to the Lee Vining ranger station.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;