SIERRA CROSSING (8 Part Series)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

rightstar76 wrote:I know a lot of people liked Stienstra's article and believe me, I like his book on Northern California lodges, but I really didn't care much for his series. I found it to be too dramatic for my taste. Then again, he was writing for a general audience and he wanted to soup things up a bit.
So true. I too find many of the "trail journal" type articles you see in editorials to be a little over the top. Guess we're all just resigned to take them for what they're worth. Sort of like all news media, I suppose. :nod:

On a side note, to inform/remind everyone of my intentions:
I try to post a bit of everything I find on the Web, whether I agree with the content or not, because I realize there are many interests to serve on HST, and because I hope to do my best to maintain a diverse (non-vanilla) atmosphere. I also know there are some sharp people on HST who are more than capable of developing their own opinions, regardless of what I post. That's what makes this place fun for me. :thumbsup:
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
Cloudy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Cloudy »

Thanks for the articles. Yes, IMHO far too dramatic but still a good read. Having hiked in Kern Canyon three or four times, I found these comments rather humorous: "Cradle of the Sierra", "This is an untouched paradise", "This camp feels like Yosemite 200 years ago" . Lol, I wonder if we were in the same canyon. Kern Hot Spring is nice though and I don't believe he mentioned the berry patches which make for a treat in late summer.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by TehipiteTom »

It is kind of hyperbolic and over-dramatic, but I enjoyed it for what it was: an attempt to convey the allure of backpacking to a non-backpacking audience. To someone who had never been away from the road, Kern Canyon really might seem like Yosemite 200 years ago.