Any suggestions for campgrounds near Bishop or Mammoth area?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
DirtDiver
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Any suggestions for campgrounds near Bishop or Mammoth area?

Post by DirtDiver »

A few of us friends are heading over next month to do White Mountain. We pretty much have all the info we need on that, but the next night we want to camp somewhere near Bishop or Mammoth so we can ride bikes the next day. We don't really need a formal camp site as we are sleeping in the back of the suv, we just don't know where this is allowed or where to find a campground. This will be our first time riding our bikes on a trail so we are looking for something for beginners. We heard about Cabo San Crowley and are looking for any info on this ride. If anyone could help us out with info on either subject it would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

You can go to Long Valley and park on any of the roads by the hot springs. I used to do it all the time and sleep in the back of my 4Runner. Its free, and lots of places to camp, like this: http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/1049 ... 6011DmfNZJ

If you need facilities, there's the RV park across the visitor center, or another campground (forget the name) on your right side as you approach the first stop light. You can camp at Lake Mary too.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DirtDiver
Topix Newbie

Post by DirtDiver »

Thanks Snow-Nymph! I will check that out right away!
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Forgot to mention, to get to Long Valley, take the Benton Crossing Road (green church on the corner), and drive .7 mi. Turn N on the dirt road, and from there you can take any side road and find places to camp. I named one "the Pit" because of a big hole next to the flat area. Another one was "the junkyard", further in, and had some appliances dumped to the side of a flat area. Lots of choices. :)
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

CSF
Topix Acquainted

Post by CSF »

You could also stay in the Buttermilk country above Bishop. To get there from Bishop:
take West Line St.(state hwy 168) and drive west towards the sierra crest about 7 miles. Turn right on Buttermilk Rd. which is a dirt road. There are a lot of "open" campsites all over the place just off the buttermilk rd.
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Up the road towards N and S Lake before it really starts climbing, you can camp along the creek to your right, keep your eyes peeled for greenery, might get some kids offroading or whatever they do out in the country. :unibrow: North of Mammoth, 5 miles or so, along 395, take the Deadman Creek CG road just before the maintenance station and drive back in there 5 miles west or so. Bike riding in there and a free cg w/toliet. Up out of Independence, just after the road to Shepard Pass, look for the dirtroad to the right, on the other side of the road that says "No camping", park along side the ditch. Quiet. No facilities. You'll hear the motorhomes thump, thumping over the cracks in the road on there way up to Onion Valley. No all night traffic at least on the Thursday night I was there.
Piece of cake.
DirtDiver
Topix Newbie

Post by DirtDiver »

Thank you all for the info. I appreciate it! Hike on!
TonyC
Topix Novice

Post by TonyC »

This is some good information. I may be planning a trip to the Eastern Sierra in a few weeks and will be sleeping in an SUV most nights. So I'm always looking for areas to park and sleep if the formal campgrounds are full, or too far away, etc.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

I almost never camp at campgrounds. So many places to camp in an SUV! :D

hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Except for TM bpers cg, where you are with your own kin, I camp out in the boonies if I can like Snow Nymph. Hate paying money, save it for new gear and no restrictions.
Piece of cake.