Cell Phone Reception at VVR or Public Phone?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
dharter
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Cell Phone Reception at VVR or Public Phone?

Post by dharter »

Any cell service in that area or do they have a public phone?
Thanks.
Doug
cherron
Topix Acquainted

cell phone service at VVR

Post by cherron »

VVR has a phone that you can use for a minimal charge. Otherwise, there is no service there-that I remember. They are very accomodating and the fees are not too expensive. They also have a drum of stuff that others hikers leave behind, in case you find yourself short on something.

Muir Trail ranch also has a barrel of some stuff and you can also leave things there that may be weighing you down that you find you don't need. They will also take your trash items or recycle items for no additional fee.

Definetly visit the hot springs at Mono Hot springs, if you have time and can thumb a ride down the road. Also Muir Trail ranch hot pools are very nice, but the camping around that area is very impacted. If you camp there, better to cross the river and stay on the hot pool side, as many don't go to the extra effort.
Take-a-Hike
Topix Acquainted

Post by Take-a-Hike »

I've been to VVR twice, don't recall ever getting cell reception. But, also, don't remember trying either.
For whatever reason, first b pack trip ever, went to Mott Lake from VVR, got up there, turned the cell on, it worked. Called my dad in NY. Don't know why it was only place I've been in Sierras, (not been to a whole lot though), that cell worked...but then, dont try a whole lot either. And I recall that they did have a phone for use at the resort. They are very accomodating folks there.