Bearpaw or Tuolumne

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
moonlite.tango
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Bearpaw or Tuolumne

Post by moonlite.tango »

Greetings High Sierra Veterans!

I managed to get permits for Tuolumne to Cathedral Lakes 2 weeks from now and was planning on going through to Sunrise Lakes and Cloud’s Rest then turning around. It’s a solo trip and I wanted to avoid the long shuttle ride.

Would you recommend the above route or a trip to Hamilton Lakes via Bearpaw Meadow in SEKI if I haven’t been to either of these places? The permit for Cathedral was a cinch to get.

Im a bit worried about reports of crowds, mosquitos and campsites in Cathedral / Sunrise Lakes being overrun and damaged.

Thank you!
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Bearpaw or Tuolumne

Post by balzaccom »

You won't have any mosquitoes in September. And if you got a permit, you probably won't find too many people--Cathedral does get a lot of traffic from the JMT, but by then that will have calmed down.

Campsites? You have lots to choose from. Don't be afraid to explore around all sides of all the lakes.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
moonlite.tango
Topix Newbie

Post by moonlite.tango »

Thank you very much @balzaccom ! Im excited to give this a shot.
GBDGBD
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by GBDGBD »

I was at Lower Cathedral Lake two weeks ago on a weekday. There were no mosquitoes. There were about three other groups camping at the lake and maybe a dozen day hikers during the day. It’s a large lake and didn’t feel too busy.

Note that Tuolumne Meadows campground closes Sept 20 so you can’t use the backpackers campground there.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

moonlite.tango wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:14 am Im a bit worried about reports of crowds, mosquitos and campsites in Cathedral / Sunrise Lakes being overrun and damaged.
It's a busy area, but on the daytrips I've done through there, I don't remember it being overly impacted. It's not the Trinity Alps where there are 10 tent pads around every lake.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
moonlite.tango
Topix Newbie

Post by moonlite.tango »

@GBDGBD thanks for the reminder and trail notes. Was planning on camping around Cathedral on night 1.