Strange, Sad Family Fatality in the Sierra NF

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Strange, Sad Family Fatality in the Sierra NF

Post by Harlen »

I was just sent this by hiking partner Carleton, and it's disturbing for the unexplained nature of it. Condolences to the families involved first, but do any of you have any ideas as to how this happened? I first thought of a lightning strike, but wouldn't that leave evidence of burns, or ? The autopsy seems to have shown nothing yet. And what about the risk of toxic algal blooms, which too are mentioned. There is that strange reference to "a report" that was made re. an "illness," which before had been called a "fatality."
On Aug. 19, the California State Water Resources Control Board, using a water quality reporting map on its website, warned the public to “stay away from algae and scum in the water” near the south fork of the Merced River in the Sierra National Forest.

An incident description said that the agency had received a report of a “suspected illness” in the area. The warning previously made reference to a fatality, but was changed to say illness, The Bee reported.
Where is that area "Devil Gulch?" Sad, sad, but how can we learn from it?
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/03/us/c ... ticleShare

Maverick, sorry if this should be placed elsewhere, feel free to move it. I expect you are considering this event yourself now?
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Strange, Sad Family Fatality in the Sierra NF

Post by maverick »

Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

There area the family died in is in the S. Merced R. canyon. The S. Fork flows into the main Merced a bit downstream of El Portal. The family was on the last part of an 8-mile hike, a grueling, unshaded, ascent up many switchbacks to where their car was parked. The temperatures that afternoon at the site were estimated to be in the 103-109F range. They have closed the Merced downstream of where the family died owing to a toxic algae bloom, but toxicology results are still pending so they don't know if drinking tainted water was in fact the reason for their deaths. If toxicology results are negative, then the most likely cause of death is heat exhaustion/dehydration, which seems to be the most likely culprit, given the weather conditions that day.

This seems to be similar to a well-publicized case in the eastern SF Bay Area where a super fit trail runner vanished and could not be found for over a month. His body was found beneath a tree on Pleasanton Ridge and all signs pointed to the fact that he died from heat exhaustion--it was 106F when he went out for an 8-mile trail run. In fact the SF Chronicle recently ran an article on the hazards of high heat to outdoor activities, citing the cases of the runner and this young family.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Thanks for the prompt and thoughtful replies John and Peter. What a hell of a thing to happen. If any others, like me, did not notice the original post in Campfire by Maverick, his link above is to a longer article published a couple weeks ago. Take care, Ian.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Wonder if filtered water would still contain the toxins.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

I've done trail work on this trail in the last couple of years, right after it burned in a big fire. There would be no shade on this trail now...and it's a low elevation, steep climb up out of the river.

Still, it is odd that both adults would have died there. I can understand one person succumbing to dehydration. I can understand the dog not leaving, and the baby being stuck there. But both people die of dehydration at the same time and in the same place? That's harder to explain.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I was following this incident a few weeks ago. It was reported (I can't find it now) that she was found farther up trail. If true, that would make more sense. He succumbed to the heat and she tried to solo out for help, but eventually succumbed to the heat as well. The tainted water from algae blooms just made no sense to me. Most waterborne illnesses won't take you out that fast.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.