Inyo NF Closure 8/31 - 9/17

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Broot
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Inyo NF Closure 8/31 - 9/17

Post by Broot »

c9h13no3 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:56 pm
Broot wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:22 pm the Caldor fire, which stopped on the west side of the Crystal range. But everything to the east is also closed.
You might want to check your facts there. The Caldor fire jumped the crest weeks ago.
You’re right, I guess I knew it went into the Ropi/American lake area. But why is it closed all the way to McKinney/rubicon area? North of dicks pass? The fire didn’t get close to anywhere up there.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Inyo NF Closure 8/31 - 9/17

Post by c9h13no3 »

Broot wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:38 pm
c9h13no3 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:56 pm
Broot wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:22 pm the Caldor fire, which stopped on the west side of the Crystal range. But everything to the east is also closed.
You might want to check your facts there. The Caldor fire jumped the crest weeks ago.
You’re right, I guess I knew it went into the Ropi/American lake area. But why is it closed all the way to McKinney/rubicon area? North of dicks pass? The fire didn’t get close to anywhere up there.
No clue. If I had to guess, it'd be some combination of:
- Not wanting people there in case the fire spreads quickly.
- Wanting the roads to firefighting zones clear so they can move emergency vehicles around with no issues.
- Smoke
- Laziness (ie, they can't decide how big to make the closure, and making it bigger allows them to cover their butts better and avoid having to constantly update a closure area with a tighter buffer around the fire)
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.