Onion valley campground closed

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
narc1370
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Onion valley campground closed

Post by narc1370 »

I just got notified that my reservation for Onion Valley campground on September 15th was cancelled due to fire danger. The closure is from August 31st to atleast September 16th. I have a permit for Kearsarge Pass the following day, September 16. The website has not been updated yet, and it still shows Onion Valley campground open. I tried to call the district ranger stations, but despite usually getting lucky, and having someone answer the phone, I only got recorded messages this time. I’m assuming Inyo National Forest is still open for backpacking?
davidsheridan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Onion valley campground closed

Post by davidsheridan »

starting tomorrow, Inyo national Forest is completely closed.

I talked to the mammoths ranger, pending announcement online very soon.

tried to pick up a permit for saturday, but all national forests in California are going to be closed, to preserve resources to fight the fires.
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

All CA forests are closed effective tomorrow at noon.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/ ... 64053.html
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
tie
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by tie »

Everybody who has ever driven a truck or SUV to our parks should be banned for life. F climate change deniers. This is what they've wrought.
chulavista
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by chulavista »

LOL...fire has shaped the west for tens of thousands of years. Probably longer than that.

They just can't get cheap labor right now to make people feel better about fighting the fires. I lost all faith in our ability to fight wildfires after watching the progress of the Rough Fire a few years ago. What will burn, will burn and there's little we can do about it most of the time other than not build in areas that can't be defended. Ignoring the ban is fair, just don't count on any services to bail out your decisions if they go wrong.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

tie wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:30 pm Everybody who has ever driven a truck or SUV to our parks should be banned for life. F climate change deniers. This is what they've wrought.
You could share Biden's basement. I'm guessing you drive an electric bike to a trailhead??