Let's Help A Fellow HST Member Out

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Let's Help A Fellow HST Member Out

Post by maverick »

Members,

Our fellow HST member Kristine aka "Gazelle," lost everything to the Tamarack Fire. Let's step up and help her back onto her feet so she can once again enjoy the Sierra again soon. Thank you!!

https://www.gofundme.com/f/our-fellow-h ... are-flow-1
Last edited by copeg on Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Sticky
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Re: Let's Help A Fellow HST Member Out

Post by LMBSGV »

Is it possible to keep this thread at the top so that everyone sees it?

I'm sure any help we can all give Kristine will be appreciated.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I have requested the thread to be stickied since I am unable to do it myself because of some tech issue Lawrence.
I’ll continue to bump it up every so often until is.🙂

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oleander
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by oleander »

Donated.

Kristine, this sucks. Sending you all the moral support.
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

Thank you to anyone who donates and thank you for this site, i had a great backpack trip planned it was going to start the day my world burned, last thursday. It was to have been to Ladder lake and all its surrounding peaks for 10 days. But as life would have it I am now dealing with all the consequences of a wildland fire, my house and all the surrounding property burnt, do not think there is a live tree left for a mile in most directions, I was right on hwy 395 to the east where if you followed the fire it was the section that jumped the highway. Again thank you at anyone who donates or anyone in general, just be kind to each other.
Kristine
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Fellow Members,

Seeing the photos of what is left of Kristine's home is gut-wrenching; I cannot imagine losing my home and all my belongings.

We all have an opportunity here as fellow human beings to show our compassion, even if we don't know the person personally.

So first, thank you very much to everyone who has stepped up and donated so far!

Second, I ask everyone who has not to please consider doing so; the cost of a pizza or a bottle of wine, if enough of us donate, would benefit Kristine and help her along to get through this horrible tragedy.

Thank you,
Mav
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hey Mav,
Thanks for taking the lead on this, and I hope the response continues to be as promising as it started out. Good luck to Kristine as you pick up the pieces. Having watched a fire get within a quarter mile of our house, I know the margin for error is slim. Yikes! Cameron
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

Growing up in SoCal you never forget the smell of a brushfire. I've witnessed first hand said devastation of losing personal property. Sucks, but somehow they are "things"; but they were your things you worked hard for, took care of and cherished and found joy in. Seeing that burned toolbox hit home as I still have some tools that went through one of the fires that burnt our barn... Happy to donate.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Kristine, Any before pictures? I have a similar config with 20' containers and I'm surrounded by land with eucalyptus. That propane tank in the pic shows the heat.
That must have been one hot, rolling fire.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Just now seeing this, how tragic. :(

Best wishes to you Kristine.

Thanks Mav for taking the lead, as always, to help make this happen.