My fingers swell-up

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

When my dad would go on backpacking trips with me, his hands would always puff up. We always thought this had to do with the constriction of circulation/fluid flow caused by his shoulder straps, as noted by Dave above. I suppose in my dad's case this was fairly extreme, given that for some odd reason he carried all of his weight on his shoulders (didn't use his hip belt--and his pack in his early days was in the 70lb range). I recall that I swell slightly toward the end of a long backpacking day, perhaps for similar reasons, although I carry support much more of the packweight with my hip belt.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Quandary
Topix Acquainted

hand swelling

Post by Quandary »

This often happens to me, whether I'm carrying a day pack, a large backpack, or no pack at all. If I'm not carrying a pack, putting both hands up and behind my head for a minute or so makes it go away quickly. If I'm carrying a pack I sometimes hook my thumbs around my sternum strap for a while and this makes the swelling go away.

In general I think getting your arms and hands up higher for a minute or so helps.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Thanks' everybody :nod: It makes me feel much better knowing that I'm not the only one and that it's not a sign of something serious.
Gary C.
Skibum
Founding Member

Post by Skibum »

I get "sausage fingers" too if I'm on a long hike with a heavy pack.

What I usually do is hook my thumbs on my sternum strap for awhile and the swelling goes away.
ndwoods
Founding Member

Post by ndwoods »

Mine used to do that too. And they itched! For me, I lost a little weight (15 lbs)and stopped eating meat for other physical reasons (suggested by a cardiologist that I don't have to go to again-whee!) and my hands stopped doing that as a by product. Not sure why, but I'm not complaining! Dee
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;