Trip Advice: South North Lake Loop (Counter Clockwise)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mbehlen
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Trip Advice: South North Lake Loop (Counter Clockwise)

Post by mbehlen »

HI HST!

Well, the time has come! I have a permit out of south lake for Thursday the 24th and am finalizing some routes/plans. It's my first time in Evo and I am thrilled! I have read a lot of trip reports but wanted to ask for a check-up of my planned route and ask for some feedback!

I am a level 3 backpacker and plan on 7-8 days. On the trail, I can do 12-15 miles/day. Off-trail with route-finding would be 6-8.

My main objective is to capture the best scenes through my lens for photography as possible. Any tips on spots would be awesome too! The secondary is gaining experience in route finding and scrambling.

Day 1: South Lake to Dusy Basin (where to camp?)

Day 2: Dusy Basin to Wanda Lake

Day 3: Wanda Lake to Saphire Lake to setup base camp - Hike to Mcgee Lakes and Back (too short of a day?) I could possibly explore the lakes on the eastern side of the basin too. Any tips?

Day 4: Saphire Lake to Darwins Canyon / Bench

Day 5: Darwins Bench to Alpine Col to Muriel Lake (If too sketchy, Lamarack Col and camp on the other side and out Day 6)

Day 6: ????

Day 7: Out

Day 8: Extra Day/time just in case.

Thank you as always for your help!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Trip Advice: South North Lake Loop (Counter Clockwise)

Post by cgundersen »

Hi M,
Simply, you cannot go wrong on that loop, or with the way you've sketched it out. Michaelzim posted a fantastic TR on McGee Lakes recently, and I'd urge you to compare/contrast that area with what Ian Harlen reported on page 2 of this forum (from a long-ago trip) regarding Ionian basin. Ionian is such a spectacular place that as long as you're rambling past, it might make sense to dip in for a day (or two). From Muir pass you can take Nietzsche col into the basin and come back put over Wanda pass. In my book, neither of these xc routes are as tough as Alpine col, so if you were planning to do Alpine, this duo will be good practice. If they look sketchy, pass on Alpine and do Lamarck. I'm sure you'll get gobs of other suggestions, but the basic elements of your itinerary rock. Good luck!
Cameron

PS: Dusy basin is huge and there are plenty of spots to pull over and park; in part it'll be an issue of how gassed you are on day 1. For my money, the iconic campsites are up against the surrounding peaks, but that's not the direction you'll be going, so I'd aim to park someplace close to the descent into Le Conte canyon.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by LMBSGV »

I agree with Cameron’s post. The lakes in lower Dusy have excellent camping. It depends on how far off trail you want to go. I’ve camped at 4 different locations by those lakes and all were great. In terms of photography, the off-trail lakes leading up to Muir Pass from LeConte Canyon before Helen Lake offer great views back towards the Palisades and good camping.

If you don’t mind skipping Muir Pass, you can go over Black Giant Pass into Ionian Basin and then back to the JMT at Wanda Pass. Since it’s a low snow year, this will be an ideal year to explore Ionian Basin. Also, don’t overlook Evolution Lake; it’s quite photogenic. I would skip Alpine Col and use Lamarck. Darwin Bench and Canyon can easily occupy you photographically for two days.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

Clockwise, not counter clockwise, right?
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I would spend 2 days in Dusy, with a day-hike to Barrett Lakes via Knapsack Col. Rather than just going down the trail in Dusy, I like to go cross country past the lakes below Isosolece and Columbine Peaks.

I have not found Wanda Lake very scenic, but that depends on what you want to look at. It is also a long day to Wanda Lake from Dusy (13 miles from lowest Dusy Lake (10742) to outlet of Wanda Lake. If you can make it to the outlet of Wanda, you may as well drop the short distance to Sapphire which is much prettier in my opinion.

For a short day, about 2.5 miles short of Helen Lake, there is nice camping about quarter mile off the trail south at a small lake. Timberline below Helen Lake is also a popular campsite, but is often crowded. This would make an 8 mile day.

I am not sure I would go into Ionian Basin because it is worth a trip in itself. If you to through Ionian, you would have little time on Darwin Bench, which is also worth an extra day to explore the upper lakes. There are also great day-hikes in Evolution Basin- a climb of Fisk is scenic and fun (south? ridge- easy class 3). However, you could make Ionian your focus and then just bomb out via Lamark.

You have to decide if seeing a lot of country is your goal, or exploring nooks and crannies. My personal style of backpacking is to do half days of walking and with about an hour in the early morning for photographing, walk about 4 hours, afternoon fishing/exploring with more late afternoon photographing.

Added comment: If photography is your main goal you have to consider best lighting conditions - afternoon is not the best time to photograph towards the west from the east side. And you want to camp at prime locations for sunset or sunrise photos.
Last edited by Wandering Daisy on Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
thegib
Topix Regular

Post by thegib »

Your day two is a work-out. Dropping to 8700' and up to Muir pass at 12000', right? The area east of Sapphire lake, just north of Huxley, at ~11500', is lovely. So is the first lake east of the JMT on the northwest side of Spencer. I prefer hanging out in those spots than the relentlessly rocky Ionian basin. Climb Spencer, it's quick and has a great view of Darwin. Or Warlow, it's clean and straightforward and has a great view.
stevet
Topix Regular

Post by stevet »

M,
WD asks the right question: do you want to explore nooks and crannies or stretch you legs and see while passing through lots of places?

You've already gotten a lot of great suggestions and it is true...you can't go wrong looping between north and south lakes.

If the answer is explore then camp in the area below Black Giant Pass your second night then drop into Ionian Basin. Spend one day exploring the east of Chasm Lake portion and a 2nd exploring the area west of Chasm Lake. On your 5th day exit via Wanda Pass and set yourself up for a Day 6 explore of McGee Lakes. Day 7 head up Darwin Canyon over Lamarck Col and camp at the melt pond below the snow field. Day 8 exit. You could make your way on day 7 down to Lower Lamarck Lake, but the ridgelines north and south of the melt pond are I think more interesting and the melt pond area has a "what it would look like if there were a pond on the moon (or Mars) feel to it.

If the answer is passing through, from Dusy Basin on your 2nd day I'd head south on the SHR over Knapsack to see Barratt Lakes and then over Potluck to camp at Lake 11580. Day 3 cross Cirque Pass pick up the JMT and camp somewhere below Helen Lake. Day 4 hop into Ionian Basin and camp either above or at Chasm Lake. Day 5 make your way over Wanda Pass and set up for your explore of McGee Lakes. Day 7 head up Darwin Canyon over Lamarck Col and camp at the melt pond below the snow field. Day 8 exit.

You could alternatively take Day 7 over Alpine Col, Lamarck is just an easier exit on the heels of an otherwise pretty challenging hike.

Also note, my itineraries use your "just in case" day. My bias is to "book" every day I have and should I not be able to keep up with my plan OR decide to linger somewhere, I'll then "rewire" things. The thought of having 8 days and only planning for 7 of them...I may not sleep tonight! ;)
mbehlen
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by mbehlen »

WOW! Thank you so much everyone for your advice. This community is amazing! So, I have decided on my revised plan and there is wiggle room but here is an update! Let me know if you have any additional advice! I will 100% report back with a trip report with images and what I ended up doing!

Day 1: South Lake to Dusy Basin - Camp Lake 11388 -

Day 2: Day Hike over Knapsack fand explore Barrett Lakes and camp Lower Dusy Basin

Day 3: Head to Helen Lake and camp somewhere below it

Day 4: Setup Camp at Saphire Lake and head for a Day Hike for Mcglee Lakes and Back

Day 5: Explore the eastern Evo basin and either climb spencer or fisk (which is funner/better views?)

Day 6: Up to Darwin Bench/Canyon

Day 7: Over Alpine Col to Goeth / Murriel Lake Camping (OR) Spend the Day in Darwin

Day 8: Out (Either down Piute or Lamarack depending on Day 6).
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Some current threads are discussing Alpine Col. You should read them. There are different opinions on this pass. I am probably in the minority who think it is not that bad, but it does have a LOT of talus hopping and micro-route finding issues. I would just wait and see how you feel once on Darwin Bench and go out Lamarck unless you feel really up to Alpine Col. The upper canyon going towards Lamarck is really scenic. And you could do a side trip to Wonder Lakes on the way out.
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

Having been to Darwin bench only once (on skis) and wanting badly to wander around there in the summer, I would vote for wandering around the bench and then going out Lamarck. Not only is it likely more enjoyable, unless you are a true talus aficionado, but the views from Lamarck and on the way up the west side and down the east are great.