Loop suggestion including Feather Pass

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Matthewkphx
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Loop suggestion including Feather Pass

Post by Matthewkphx »

I really appreciate all of the helpful suggestions. Thank you all.

I’m planning on going in with 4 or 5 nights worth of food.

I’m not sure what low mileage means. It’s been a hell of a year (I’m a high school teacher) and I just haven’t been able to hike much during the longest school year of all time. My fitness level is low and my feet are soft. In the before times I was comfortable with 15+ mile days on trail in the desert here in AZ. At altitude in the Sierra huffing it over passes on trail I’m more of a 12 mile day kind of person. I’m too inexperienced with XC travel to know how many miles/day I’m good for off trail. Maybe 8? I’ll find out in a few weeks.

I’m going in Piute Pass because I’ve only been over the pass once and it was too brief a trip. I want to go through Humphreys Basin again. My thought has been to head to to Lake Merriam for my second night and then see how I’m feeling and head over some XC passes. The punt, of course, is to drop back down to Humphreys Basin and wander around. You’ve all given me a nice list of spots to check out while I wander.
Last edited by Matthewkphx on Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
maiathebee
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maiathebee »

Sounds like you didn't really want our advice but rather confirmation of some idea you already had.

The problem with your plan is that heading up over XC passes from Merriam gets you farther from your trailhead, so doing that on day 3 of a 5 day trip is not the brightest idea, especially if you are worried about fitness.
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I did not find Feather Pass or Carol Col (is this the same as Puppet Pass?) "easy" relative to trail travel. Maybe not the hardest x-c passes, but you have to find the right route or they can both present some difficulties.

Others may comment if I am wrong, but the main trail to Merrium Lake is NOT as shown on the map (but I have an old map). I think this trail has been re-routed since printing of the original 7.5 min USGS map. It is on the southwest side of the creek. It basically goes missing in the upper flat (10700). I do not know what GPS's show because I do not use them. Given all the trail damage this last year, it also may not be in good shape.
Matthewkphx
Topix Regular

Post by Matthewkphx »

Hey Maia, maybe my tone was off when I wrote my response. Sorry about that. I absolutely do want your advice and I feel like I got lots of useful feedback from everyone. I’m hearing y’all say that Pine Creek is a better trailhead for heading north on the SHR and that I should save that area for when I’m ready for more nights and/or more miles/day. I’ve also heard several of you point out a lot of spots for me to highlight on my maps in Humphreys Basin that sound great. Your advice is very much appreciated.

Also I noticed your signature yesterday and really enjoyed looking at your IG and have bookmarked your blog. Lots of good stuff there. Thanks for sharing all of this :)
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

Mostly I think we are concerned about your plan relative to how you describe your preparation. I actually did a really similar trip to what you want to do in 2019 (Piute to Merriam over Feather to Bear Lakes Basin around over Italy Pass to Granite Park then back around Pine Creek Pass to Puppet to Humphreys back out Piute) but took 6 nights, have a decent amount of XC experience, and am in shape. Pine Creek TH is an awful approach but is closer if your destination is Bear Lakes Basin, is what we are saying.

And I don't think it's tone or that you aren't appreciative of our advice, you just aren't listening to it.

You: Hey I have the idea to do X, what do you think?
Us: Well, maybe that's not the best idea for [reasons]
You: Ok I'm going to do X, thanks for the other ideas though
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
Matthewkphx
Topix Regular

Post by Matthewkphx »

See to me it’s more like:

Matthew: Hey I have the idea to do X, what do you think?
HST: Well, maybe that's not the best idea for [reasons]
Matthew: Ok I'm going to try to do X but I know that HST is probably right and I’m going to go for X and realize quickly HST is right and go with HST’s suggestions that I am carefully cataloging on my maps.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Matthew,
I just posted a TR that covers much of the terrain you're targeting. Daisy is correct and the signed trail to Merriam is south of the creek, not north. And the trail does fade out in the meadow a quarter mile shy of the lake. The most expedient path up to the lake is by staying relatively close to the outlet stream from Merriam. The other option I'd offer if you want to push your boundaries is to avail yourself of the ridge directly above La Salle Lake (OK, it's northwest). It's much easier than Feather pass and leads directly to Den Lake from which it's a clear shot down to gorgeous campsites at Vee Lake. But if you are determined to get into the Bear basin, you can then loop back past all the other lovely Bear lakes that precede Feather and go out that way. But, I think you'd need at least 6 nights to make this work comfortably, so perhaps incorporate some of the other suggestions as you make plans.
Cameron
frozenintime
Topix Regular

Post by frozenintime »

that's an interesting idea, cameron: the "pass" north of la salle lake looks pretty good on the topo, especially the north side. the south side looks a little steep here and there -- i'd guess that one would want to start up somewhere a bit west of the lake?
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Hi Matthew,

I think this idea from above is one very good one:
2) Instead of heading to Feather Pass, after you get to Merriam Lake, cross the Merriam-Royce Saddle to Royce Lakes. Descend the Royce Lakes basin into French Canyon, then pick up the Pine Creek Pass trail back to the Paiute Pass trail. This is shorter than option #1, but it cuts out Feather Pass, which it seems you want to include.
You can easily climb an easy, sandy class 2 route up Royce Peak, which has a very nice view from its plateau like summit.
Another idea would be to base camp at one of the wonderful lakeside camping areas below your Carol, or the SHR "Puppet Pass." I'm refering to Moon, Elba, or Puppet Lakes, which have the tree line environs you prefer. From there you could do some lightweight day trips up to Royce Lakes Basin, which we too love-- check out gunderson's recent TR photo from up there; it has a great view of Mt Humphreys in the distance, and Feather, Royce , Merriam right behind you. You might also do a longer day trip across to Lake Merriam, which is stunningly beautiful-- again see gunderson's pics.
You might cross first one way, "Puppet Pass," and then return to H. Basin via another-- " Carol Col."
We hope you have a great trip Matthew, Ian.

p.s. Have you got yourself a Mountain Pomeranian yet?

DSCN0514.jpg
Here's Wolfie, running around Humphreys Basin!

DSCN0425.jpg
You were pretty taken with this little guy weren't you?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Matthewkphx
Topix Regular

Post by Matthewkphx »

Cameron – Thank you for the suggestion hopping over the ridge NW of La Salle Lake. I have a possible route mapped that goes Merriam Lake > Ruskie Pass > Vee Lake > Little/Big/Bearpaw Lakes > Feather > Merriam Lake and it looks like the La Salle ridge route would cut a couple hours off that route. I'm really glad to know about that option.

Ian – It looks like the approach to Royce Peak is from the Royce Merriam Saddle. Glad to have that option as well. I'm also very glad to hear about your suggestion to basecamp at Moon / Elba / Puppet Lakes and head up to Royce Lakes Basin. I like having all of these options given that I have zero idea about how I'm going to feel once I am up there.

Going down Carol Col one way and then coming up Puppet Pass is a genius idea. Or is it better to descend via Puppet and ascend Carol? :-k

I have not acquired a Mountain Pomerian but I do have a Desert Cattledog mix. I don't think I'm going to bring her on this trip, as she doesn't like long drives. This is Sumi:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.