Ionian Basin Circle

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Ionian Basin Circle

Post by Harlen »

Hey,
I should have put an "AM" after the 7-9 in my previous post:
I was told that one can get "walk-up" permits by showing up at the Mineral King Station between 1:00 and 3:30 PM the day before your desired entry, and between 7:00 - 9:00 the day of.
I was able to get on Rec.gov today, and in 10 minutes have the WP for Taboose Creek purchased. What took more time was the endless re-dials to get the "same day processing" over the phone. Finally an over-worked, but super efficient staffer set me up with the emailed WP.

Though I wanted to get right into Ionian Basin after the re-inspiration from my found photos, and you HST compatriots, I settled for Taboose in order to finally get into Lake Basin, and hopefully Dumbbell Lakes too. Thanks for all the interesting comments and images, and the nice Haiku poem from you sekihiker.
Last edited by Harlen on Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

I have been up peak 12928, we went up from the SE through a kind of chimney, some of it was class 3 with some interesting route finding, one could probably go up ridge from South also but would expect some class 3 also. My plan is to do all the LOJ peaks in the Goddard quad including the less prominent, hope to finish next year, if lucky this year. Obviously I love the area, heading towards ladder lake area this year for 10 days, getting some non Goddard quad as well, ie devil's crag area.
Kristine
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
MrRedwood
Topix Newbie

Post by MrRedwood »

Your first image is the best picture I've seen yet of the Southwest Ridge/West Chute (SummitPost). Thanks for the clear pic!