Duck Pass Trail 5/14-5/15/21

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
kirstinrode
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Duck Pass Trail 5/14-5/15/21

Post by kirstinrode »

EBE2DB83-B895-4D83-BF95-FC939080A4F7.jpeg
Trip Report Duck Pass...Attempted 5/14 with wilderness permits. Had to park at Tamarack Lodge because of the road not being open past that point yet. We decided to camp at Skeleton Lake and day hiked up to Barney. Big 25 wind gusts but temps only dropped to 40ish that night. DP Trail hard to find even w maps/navigation because of snow and Ive hiked it before in August 2020. We only spent one night up there because of a severe weather alert on 5/15 for thunderstorms. They got a dusting last night 5/15. Snow is melting but still quite a bit on the trail from a cold Spring. Lots of varied conditions up to Barney, 3 ft of snow post holing, mud, snow melt, clear trail... With current conditions this is doable at least to Barney with gaiters, poles/snow baskets and micro spikes, IMO. Saw some folks skinning/traversing across from Barney. Still a beautiful hike!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Duck Pass Trail 5/14-5/15/21

Post by Harlen »

Sounds like the weather didn't do you any favors. I hope there was some beautiful light, animal sightings, or some other ameliorating factors... I guess so, as you say:
Still a beautiful hike!
Hopefully just the first of many more this season.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
maiathebee
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maiathebee »

Thanks for posting! Did you also post in the conditions forum? It's really helpful especially early season :)
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
kirstinrode
Topix Novice

Post by kirstinrode »

I asked an admin before I posted where to post so no one would yell at me again ;) but can do that as well.
kirstinrode
Topix Novice

Post by kirstinrode »

Harlen wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:43 pm Sounds like the weather didn't do you any favors. I hope there was some beautiful light, animal sightings, or some other ameliorating factors... I guess so, as you say:
Still a beautiful hike!
Hopefully just the first of many more this season.
Just another day in the mountains :-) no animals and I have learned that postholing is not my favorite but any day in the trees makes me happy!