Need advice about my route, Belle Canyon to Tablelands

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Flamingo
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Need advice about my route, Belle Canyon to Tablelands

Post by Flamingo »

Hi All, I'm planning a trek for Memorial Day weekend this year, and I have a couple questions about my proposed route. Overall, my plan is Marvin Pass >> Ranger Lake >> X-country to Tablelands >> Big Bird Lake >> Deadman Canyon >> Sugarloaf >> Marvin.

1. Is there a recommended cross-country route to connect Ranger+Beville Lakes to Tablelands? . . . Based on Google Earth, I suspect the best way is to traverse to Crescent Lake and then ascend east up the watershed to cross the Kings-Kaweah Divide. (See my attached screenshot). Does anyone have first-hand opinions about this? For example, instead of traversing to Crescent lake, would it be better to descend to the South Fork and then ascend along the creek? Also, I see there may be an alternative crossing of the divide, south of Crescent Lake. Any advice is appreciated.

2. What do you think about ford conditions at Sugarloaf and Ferguson Creeks? I know these creeks have been historically challenging in the early season. However, with this year's drought, I am hoping they'll be manageable. Any opinions?

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: Need advice about my route, Belle Canyon to Tablelands

Post by giantbrookie »

I think the route is reasonable and that the chute option to Crescent is something you can look at there and decide. Another option is to sidehill around to Crescent given that there is a shallowing of the slope angle for that wrap-around. The final climb up to the Tablelands is certain fine. I've been to that west end of the Tablelands from the east but did not descent, but it wasn't a very difficult-looking slope. I don't know what the stream conditions on the two creeks will be, though.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Need advice about my route, Belle Canyon to Tablelands

Post by wildhiker »

Here's the route I used in 2011, going from Tablelands to Ranger Lake. It was all pretty easy, except for the little stub route where I went down the wrong valley and then realized where I was and backtracked.

-Phil
BevilleLake2Tablelands.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.