Yosemite Valley climbers may be sharing backpackers campground

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Yosemite Valley climbers may be sharing backpackers campground

Post by wildhiker »

As Maverick noted in the peak bagging/rock climbing forum, Yosemite National Park is piloting a program to require special "wilderness climbing permits" for climbers who will be bivouacing overnight while climbing one of the big walls in Yosemite. Of interest to backpackers is this paragraph in the park service website explaining this new program (see https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/ ... ermits.htm):
With a wilderness climbing permit, can I camp in the frontcountry the night before or after my overnight climb?

Climbers with a wilderness climbing permit may spend one night prior to, and one night after, an overnight climb in an open backpackers campground. The cost is $6 per night (per person); reservations are not required. These only provide tent camping; sleeping in a vehicle is not allowed.
This means big wall climbers planning a multi-day climb may be sharing the backpacker's campgrounds, especially the one in Yosemite Valley, possibly leading to more crowded conditions.

-Phil
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Yosemite Valley climbers may be sharing backpackers campground

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Well, I am going on a Yosemite backpack tomorrow, drive to Tunnel View and get up to Stanford or Dewey. Then Pohono-Panorama- Merced Lake-Sunrise-Clouds Rest-and out to backpacker's campground on Friday or Saturday. I will get there early so likely will get a campsite. It will be interesting to see if it is crowded. It may be a bit too early for the main crowds of climbers. Thanks for the heads up on the situation!
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Yosemite Valley climbers may be sharing backpackers campground

Post by c9h13no3 »

Loophole: Get a free big wall climbing permit, get access to the backpacker's campground for $6 a night?
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.