Suggestion Request: SEKI, late June

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Lenier
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Suggestion Request: SEKI, late June

Post by Lenier »

I'm planning on doing a walk-up for the HST in late June, however, if that doesn't come to fruition - what's a solid 4-7 day trail to do in SEKI that isn't Rae Lakes loop or Mineral King loop? I already have permits/plans for those loops for this summer!

Of course, I can think of plenty of places to go; mostly looking for recommendations. My first consideration is doing a loop out of road's end, headed south, and ultimately covering portions of the HST, before turning back north and coming back to road's end - or possibly heading for the Giant's Forest where my wife can pick me up from my trip.

I've also considered some sort of mega loop based out of Jennie Lakes Wilderness, making sure to hit up various interesting trails north of Silliman.

I'm open to suggestions anywhere in the Sierra, of course, but SEKI, Yosemite, and Tahoe would be my priorities.

Thanks for any input!
stevet
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Suggestion Request: SEKI, late June

Post by stevet »

From Crescent Meadow: HST to Junction Meadow, and then return via the Kaweah-Kern over Colby Pass to Roaring River then up Deadman Canyon over Elizabeth Pass and out the HST. This is a solid week long route, and has perhaps the most awesome views/scenery per step of any route I've hiked in the Sierra.

Cautions for late June, even in this low snow year are the Whitney and Wallace Creek Crossings in the Kern Canyon, the Mehrton Creek crossing and the Kern crossing.
maiathebee
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maiathebee »

I think the request is for a permit that is easier to get, so suggesting a HST start is probably not what the OP is looking for.

A fun big loop with an easy to get permit is Copper Creek up over Granite Pass to the middle fork of the Kings River, over to the JMT, then back via Woods. This does repeat a little bit of Rae Lakes (Woods). It's easy to get since the first day is a hot south facing 5k climb. The middle fork of the Kings River is spectacular and has very few people since it's not so easy to get to.

Funny story about when I did this loop 15 years ago: had permit for Rae Lakes Loop, left from bay area at 3am to get to Roads End in time to get permit. Got sick in the car, puked a couple times into a gallon ziploc, worried I was pregnant, took a pregnancy test in the bathroom of a 24 hour grocery store, negative. Decided to sleep it off and see what happened, was the middle of the night so didn't pay attention to where we parked, turned out to be in front of City Hall in Tracy. Found that out when cops knocked on my window at 7am. Told the cop oopsie sorry here look at my bag of vomit and listen to my story. Tried to explain that we were going backpcking, that's why we have backpacks and camping stuff. (They thought we were homeless I'm sure.) Convinced them eventually and they sent us on our way. Felt better so decided to keep going, of course by 1pm when we got to Roads End our permit had been given away and all that was left was Copper Creek. So off we went, starting at 1:30pm and arriving at the top at dusk. Can't believe I made it. I should get sick before starting every trip!
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
Lenier
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lenier »

Well, I scored a permit for 2 for June 21 - so looks like I'm going to do the HST anyways !!!