Suggestion Sierra Nevada half May

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
J0han
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Suggestion Sierra Nevada half May

Post by J0han »

Hi everyone,

I'm moving from Austin to the Bay Area for a new job this month and was hoping to sneak in some Sierra Nevada backpacking en route. However, my dates are between 17-23 of May and it's of course a little early. Would love to go to Tioga pass but might not be open yet and I was wondering if anyone has any alternative suggestions for an awesome 15-30 mile trip while coming in from the east and that will not contain an overload of snow? Of course I could drive around from the west but I prefer not.

Thanks!
Johan
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Suggestion Sierra Nevada half May

Post by c9h13no3 »

Go to something south of Bishop. Living in the Bay Area, you'll visit Yosemite & north a ton. But it's always a pain to drive down to the 14'er part of the range.

Miter Basin, both forks of Big Pine Creek, Whitney Zone stuff, Kearsarge Pass area are all good options.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

I agree. Even further south, coming up the Kern, would be good. You can climb as far as you want until it gets too cold or too icy/snowy...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

You need to get a permit before you get hopes up for Miter Basin or any other popular east side trailhead south of Bishop. Whitney Lottery is done, a lot of competition to get the "walk-ins", which really are not walk-in any more. Unfortunately, this year available permits may determine where you go. Get on the Inyo NF web site which then directs you to the permit reservation system and start looking. I am not sure when the quota system starts in. I think mid-May is too late for non-quota.

There is a lot of good information on the new reservation system on HST. It certainly helped me a lot!

Years ago I moved here from a place with no permits required, so it was a struggle at first to get it all figured out. Good Luck.
thegib
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by thegib »

Recent post here on HST showed Cottonwood lakes close to snow free. Permits are available for such early season romps.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Reservations are currently filled. Next up are the "walk-up" permits, I think 2 weeks ahead they start to sell. Which is this week- so you need to be ready to grab one because they will go fast. You can constantly check even once they are gone hoping for a cancellation, but have a back-up plan for a different route.
J0han
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by J0han »

Hi guys,

Awesome suggestions, thanks. I've driven on the east side quite a few times but it always looked so steep/daunting that I needed a little push and this really helped. ;)

So I'm currently looking at Cottonwood Lakes (and there is plenty of space) but I need to fill out my overnight stays and I was thinking about the following route: lake 1 => lake 4 => high lake => long lake. However, to get from "lake 4" to "high lake" I would need to take a trail up called "old army pass trail". I'm not sure the latter trail shows up on every map though and even less sure it's going to be accessible in May. Anyone have a clue? I do intend to bring spikes.
thegib
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by thegib »

Hey WD,
I see lots of permits available at recreation.gov inyo national forest for Cottonwood lakes and pass for May 17 etc. What site are you looking at?

Edit: I see, as you said, they must have just released walk-up permits. Quite a lot of them too.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

All you are held to on your permit is your in and out trailheads and first night's campsite. To expediate getting a permit, just estimate other nights. Then you can revise it later or just leave it be and figure it all out before you leave on your trip, or just play it by ear when you get there. I have some suggestions but too late tonight to describe them- will do in a few days.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

J0han wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:23 pm To get from "lake 4" to "high lake" I would need to take a trail up called "old army pass trail". I'm not sure the latter trail shows up on every map though and even less sure it's going to be accessible in May. Anyone have a clue? I do intend to bring spikes.
Yeah, the Old Army Pass trail is dangerous early season. Don't go that way, it will be faster to walk around via Lakes 3, 2, Long to get to High Lake than to fight lingering snow over the Old Army Pass trail.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.