Wildfires Impact On Your Health

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Wildfires Impact On Your Health

Post by maverick »

Something to consider the next time you are considering a trip while wildfires are active.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnew ... mp/rcna729
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Wildfires Impact On Your Health

Post by Wandering Daisy »

That mask we take backpacking may be useful for smoke as well as COVID. I skimmed the article (may have missed something) and I did not see any separation of urban or wilderness-urban interface fires versus strictly wildfires. Buildings and other infrastructure that burn creates more toxic smoke than a regular wildfire. Personally I would not do a trip in heavy smoke because I am out there for the scenery. But anyone can get caught in a few days of smoke.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

My body told me that smoke was bad for me way before the study came out.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

sekihiker wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:24 am My body told me that smoke was bad for me way before the study came out.
I did it for 32 years on helitack and hotshot crews. Ditto on that!

All others factors held equal, a firefighting career takes 5-7 years off your life.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=