Car camping in N. California with access to alpine landscapes

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
RGTPSB
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Car camping in N. California with access to alpine landscapes

Post by RGTPSB »

Hi all,

I have some friends with whom I'd like to go camping in N. California (coming from the Bay Area). Since the level of physical fitness varies widely, the best bet seems to be to plan on car camping. However, if possible, I'd like to camp at a relatively high altitude, permitting us to hike to subalpine/alpine landscapes without too much difficulty, such as lake shores with large slabs of granite, which we all like. We could either camp close to the cars and go on day hikes, or alternatively, if the route is short enough, we can camp on the lake shore itself.

I am curious if anyone might be able to provide suggestions for locations in Stanislaus NF, Desolation, Emigrant, Mokelumne, etc. which would be appropriate for such an endeavor.

Thank you all in advance!
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Car camping in N. California with access to alpine landscapes

Post by balzaccom »

Close to the Bay Area? You might look at Silver Lake or Caples Lake...as well as Woods Lake and Wrights Lake. But what you want is what everyone else wants: a perfect spot with a great lake, easy to access, great fishing and no crowds. It doesn't work that way. But you can get some nice spots in the above areas if you can stand the crows...and manage to find/reserve a campsite.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I do not see it as an either/or option. So your group is not in great shape. Just do an easy short backpack. As for permits. Why not go from a non-quota trailhead? Saddlebag Lake is a good choice. You hike in only a few miles to a base camp, very little elevation gain. Lots of scenery you are seeking. Lots of day hike options. Fishing too. Just avoid mosquito season- August to Sept is better. Because this is such an ideal area for what you and many others want, yes, it will be a bit crowded.

Another option is anything in Granite Chief Wilderness (up by Donner Pass). No permits required. Short walk into lakes. Not as spectacular as Saddlebag Lake, but OK.

Or Green Creek (Hoover Wilderness). Dispersed camping as well as a regular campground. Short 2-3 hour hike to Green Lake, a but more to the upper lakes. Good fishing. Not granite but very unique and pretty.
maiathebee
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maiathebee »

Loon Lake and Wrights Lake off 50 might be good options too.
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

More ideas:

1) Sierra Buttes and Lake Basin in the Plumas National Forest - an hour or so north of Truckee on highway 89. Several campgrounds, lots of short hikes to lakes, and a pretty spectacular hike to the top of Sierra Buttes - the last 100 feet on a steel catwalk above a sheer cliff. "Off the beaten track".

2) Grouse Ridge campground in the Tahoe National Forest. Direct access to many lakes in the Grouse Lakes roadless area. Nice view from a ridge just a short walk from the campground. Only about 10 sites. Very remote feel. Last 5 miles of access road is nasty slow dirt/gravel, but passable in an ordinary sedan - less than an hour off interstate 80.

3) I second the mention of Woods Lake by Carson Pass. Beautiful lake right at the campground with trails up to higher country. Carson Pass is the place to go if you like wildflowers.

4) Forest Service campground at Mount Rose Summit, northeast of Lake Tahoe. Up at nearly 9000 feet. Big mountains with great views from sections of the Tahoe Rim Trail. Not much in the way of lakes, but some beautiful streams and meadows.

-Phil
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

There are campgrounds at a few trailheads where one might directly access a trail to alpine areas however actually camping at such places is hardly an advantage versus camping elsewhere and then driving a minor ways during mornings for day hiking. Such small campgrounds at trailheads tend to not be aesthetic but rather are logistical one night spots for backpackers.

So reserve a spot at a more general and aesthetic NF campground for your group and then plan to drive to a trailhead and hike out to wherever. For example stay at any of the several Lee Vining Creek campgrounds. Drive to Saddlebag Lake, park, and day hike into 20 Lakes Basin. Note there is a small campground right at the Saddlebag dam with 20 sites, first come first serve.
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

Subalpine, but maybe not so much granite: Highland Lakes off of HWY 4 west of Ebbetts Pass. Dirt road to get in there, campground by the lake. Condition of the road varies. Sometimes you need a vehicle with pretty good clearance to get in there, but not 4 wheel drive.
Chris B
Topix Acquainted

Post by Chris B »

This may be a bit late but if you are from the Bay Area I am assuming you have plenty of money, Check this place near Kirkwood Ski Area on Hwy 88
https://wylderhotels.com/hope-valley, it used to be called Sorrensons.

There are also USFS campsites in the Hope Valley that are available on a first-come-first-served basis, this can be risky if you don't have a plan B. If you plan is to do this and don't get a spot, you can legally wild camp if you head up Burnside Rd which is the opposite side of the road from the Hwy89 turn-off. Depending on the snow situation you may need a 4WD. If the road is passable you can camp by Burnside Lake which is very cool. Also check out Grover Hot Springs.
Chris B
Topix Acquainted

Post by Chris B »

As the other OP says, Highlands lakes off why 4 is another good off-the-grid campsite that rarely fills up. If you are a kayaker or Paddleboarder the like is very nice but also very cold. If you are driving there early season be careful because the dirt road can get washed out and you don't want to get stuck because there is no cell coverage. When the road gets really bad the County or USFS grade it, but don't count on it.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

This may be a bit late but if you are from the Bay Area I am assuming you have plenty of money,
All of my Bay Area friends who have been living one step above the poverty line for the last 40 years will get a good laugh out of that assumption.

I agree with all of the suggestions by Dave, WD, Maia, Wildhiker and Balzacom. Also, if you are willing to drive a little further beyond the campgrounds below Tioga Pass, the campgrounds bordering the Hoover Wilderness and Muir Wilderness on the east side are all excellent.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com