early season grouse ridge timing

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
frozenintime
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

early season grouse ridge timing

Post by frozenintime »

i'm hoping to take my 4 year old on her first "backpacking" trip at grouse ridge this spring -- likely something short like carr to island lake.

based on my early season experiences in emigrant, i'd guess that in a middling snow year like this one, the access road and terrain might be melted enough by... mid may? late may? is that a decent guess?

i'll be checking the sentinel images over the next month, of course, but am also curious what your real world experiences are.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Re: early season grouse ridge timing

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Exactly where is Grouse Ridge? You talk about Emigrant. Is it there? I thought it was up by Tahoe?
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

I've never been in that area but found it on the maps. Carr Lake is at 6664 and Island Lake is at 6875. Looks like it is about 2 miles from the campground at Carr to Island Lake. In a 60% year like this one my guess is that any sunny ground will be clear of snow by mid to late May.

But the problem with your route is that the trail--which is an old jeep trail--is on a forested northern slope, so snow will hang in there on shadowed areas for longer than elsewhere. Walking over many patches of very hard snow is not a lot of fun for kids. However, if the road is open all the way to Carr Lake then the trail should not be too much worse. So calling ahead and getting a road report will give you some information. It is pretty low in elevation and this is a dry year....

The trail crosses the outlet from Feely Lake and I don't have a sense of what it might be like early season. You will want to know more about that crossing before you chance it with a four year old. Is there is a bridge there on the old road?

The other thing to think about with a 4 year old is timing the mosquitoes. Wait a little too long for the snow to completely clear and the mosquitoes will be out in force. For my kids I learned the hard way to take them in August after both snow and mosquitoes were done.

I wonder about a Desolation trip instead, if you can find a south facing route without stream crossings. Wrights Lake to Twin Lakes is mostly open, although it is a thousand feet higher. That maybe for the last week of May or the first week of June? Others with more experience will chime in I am sure.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by wildhiker »

I've hiked extensively in the Grouse Lakes roadless area on the Tahoe National Forest over many years. In normal snow years, the Carr Lake trailhead and trail to Island Lake would not be accessible (mostly snow free) in May. We did the exact same backpack you are contemplating on June 23-24, 2018, with my daughter, her husband, and 20 month old granddaughter. Conditions were perfect then - road open and dry, only a very small stream to cross at Feeley Lake, no snow to cross anywhere (some streaks on the higher ridges for visual interest) and no mosquitoes. But lots and lots of people! According to the snow water content graph (http://cdec.water.ca.gov/snowapp/swcchart.action), snowpack so far this year in the northern Sierra is a bit more than 2018, so assuming normal spring snowmelt, I wouldn't do this trip before mid-June.

By the way, the last 1/2 mile of the road to the Carr Lake trailhead is very rough and really needs high clearance. You can also park further back and walk that part of the road.

Another idea for an easy early season backpack would be Sagehen Creek on the Tahoe National Forest north of Truckee. A trail runs from highway 89 east down a broad gentle valley along the stream about 2.5 miles to the Stampede Reservoir. The trail passes through open jeffrey pine forest, with a lively stream and big meadows as you approach the reservoir. It is at about 6,000 foot elevation and always accessible in May. It is a very popular day hike, but there are potential camp spots along the way. Be sure to treat water from the stream.

-Phil
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Yeah, in addition to the concerns above, the snowpack is the highest in the state in the Tahoe region. Going further south or oddly, north, would help.

May is a tough time out there. All the blowdowns haven't been cleared for summer yet, there's still snow to posthole through. Plus the limitation of a four year old, makes your options pretty limited. I've heard that kids under 10 can hike half their age in miles, so a 2 mile trip doesn't leave many options.

Phil's suggestion of Stampede Reservoir is solid. It's east of the crest and rarely holds snow very long. East shore of Tahoe is good too, especially if it hasn't been opened to mountain bikers yet.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
frozenintime
Topix Regular

Post by frozenintime »

hey all

thanks for the replies.

phil, were the mosquitos in late june not hellish? that's my concern -- either we thread the needle between late snow and early mosquito seasons, or we wait until august, and hope it's not smoky and/or hot.

i mentioned may because several reports at this random alltrails (https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/cali ... sland-lake) mention that late may 2020 (slightly higher than 2021 snow year) held decent conditions with minimal snow, while mid june is already "insane" on the mosquito front. i am not looking to subject the kid to that on her first "big" trip!

mileage with kids is tricky. my kid seems willing to walk great distances as long as she can tell us a story and/or make a up a game to keep herself occupied (+ infinite snacks). other kids i've known, not so much.

i'll check out stampede! thanks for the rec.

and phil, i assume an outback would be ok to the end of carr? how rough are we talking? taboose level?
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by wildhiker »

All I can say is that my June 23/24 trip to Island Lake in 2018 had basically no mosquitoes. In general, I haven't had much problem with mosquitoes in the Grouse Lakes area, but then maybe I've just been lucky!

Yes, my Subaru Outback made it up all the way to the Carr Lake trailhead in 2018. Anything with less clearance would have had problems.

-Phil
neil d
Topix Regular

Post by neil d »

Island Lake is a very popular 'first backpack' for good reason: short, lots of lakes, great scenery. A lot of bang for your buck on that one.

I think wildhiker described typical late spring conditions pretty well, although I frequently make it up to Carr Lake before Memorial Day. Sometimes you can drive the whole way, sometimes not, due to snow. The trail (road) around Carr is generally quick to clear of snow because it is well exposed. The Feeley Lake crossing is easy, there are at least two ways to do it. Worst case is wet feet (for Dad).

Really the only issue is the short climb from Feeley Lake up to the Island Lake basin. This is a wooded area that frequently holds snow into late spring. But it is short, and by that time it will be well-trod by boots and snowshoes. The south shore of Island Lake clears of snow very quickly and there are several breezy, sunny campsites with great views. The ones near the water on the east and southwest sides may still have snow. The one primo spot at the lake is on a little peninsula on the southwest shore, easy to see upon approach to the lake.

I've had buggy days up there but nothing 'epic'. Especially if you have an exposed, breezy campsite you should be fine.

Late last fall the upper 1/4 mile of road to Carr was about the worst I've every seen it, and will likely remain that way until they blade it. You can probably creep in with a Subie but worst case is to walk the last 1/4 mile. No sweat.
frozenintime
Topix Regular

Post by frozenintime »

neil -- this info is all so helpful, i really appreciate it!