Yosemite Falls / Snow Creek loop in May

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
bethmitchell
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Yosemite Falls / Snow Creek loop in May

Post by bethmitchell »

Hi there,
First time poster; please let me know if I'm getting the etiquette wrong!

I'm thinking of doing a 3 day loop up Snow Creek, heading west past North Dome, and then down Yosemite Falls trail, in mid-May of this year.

The question: I'll be backpacking with my mom, who is in her 70s (go mom!) and a solid hiker. However, she gets really anxious about stream crossings, even fairly mellow ones. Looking at the trail map, the only obvious crossing I see is getting over Lehamite Creek at some point. It's hard to tell from the trail map, though.

Could someone who has done this loop, ideally early season, advise?

Also if there is additional advice about doing this hike in mid-May, I'd love to hear it! Should we be ok with 3-season gear (as long as we pack for cold nights)? I've done some winter hiking, not a ton, but don't have the full set of gear for both of us.

Thanks so much for any and all info!
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Yosemite Falls / Snow Creek loop in May

Post by c9h13no3 »

You won't need winter gear. Check the weather, occasionally it can snow in May, but it won't be much and will melt fast. Nights do get cool though.

I haven't crossed that particular creek, but the drainage is small and you can back-track around the creek completely. Don't miss the rock arch going that way.

Snow creek is a hot & heavy way to start.

Have fun!
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by LMBSGV »

The Lehamite Creek crossing is pretty simple that time of year. I did a trip to North Dome in May and hiked a lot of the North Rim as a day hike. As someone who will be 70 this year, as already mentioned, I would be more concerned about the first day’s hike up the Snow Creek Trail. Allow lots of time for the climb. It’s not overly steep, but it’s a taxing grind. As for campsites, see Wandering Daisy’s “Early Season Yosemite” post for the Snow Creek buttress campsite.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21350

Also, North Dome is a great place to camp, though you have to carry in your water. There are a couple of campsites at the bottom after the climb down and a great one a little way up toward the top on the left side. Half Dome appears as if you can reach out and touch it. There are also nice campsites on Yosemite Creek above the falls.

While the snow will probably be gone on the trail, there is always a possibility of a snowstorm that time of year. I had 4 to 6 inches of snow on a trip to Eagle Peak in May and Davis Lake in mid-June. It quickly goes away so it doesn’t effect hiking, but it helps having a good three-season tent with a decent vestibule that can deal with that amount of snow along with a raincoat and warm clothes. Have a great trip! That time of year, the North Rim is spectacular.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have encountered fairly high water in Lehamite Creek. Your Mom should be fine, because YOU will carry her pack across, and help her across. Worst case, you carry her across. I think the hardest part will be the cold water. When your feet go numb, you cannot feel the bottom and trip a lot. Wearing wool socks covered with plastic bags keep your feet a bit warmer, although the socks still get wet. Also, be sure your Mom takes two trekking Poles.

Technically camping on Snow Creek Buttress is now illegal. You are supposed to camp up from the trail. It is due to bears. Be careful with your bear can- do not set it near a cliff or near the creek. Bears will roll it in the creek or off a cliff. I have heard that the standard camps across the bridge get raided by bears. If you are really worried about bears, just go up the trail half a mile to camp. You can drop back down the buttress for photos or enjoying sunset or sunrise.

I think you may run into some snow covering the trail at the junction up top- it makes finding the trail down to North Dome a bit tricky. It is pretty flat up there, thick with timber (that is why it often holds snow late), and impossible to read a map. Take time to actually find the trail sign.
bethmitchell
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by bethmitchell »

Thanks everyone for the information; this is really helpful. We have the permits booked and are excited! We'll take the ascent slowly, as well as the stream crossing. I really appreciate the info.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

Just to add -
Great early season, warm-up trip - have done variations multiple times over the years, but (as older and slower, and dislike hiking up out of the Valley), now prefer going in at Porcupine Flat (PF) off 120 just after it opens, and down either Snow Creek or Yosemite Falls depending on what serendipity beckons for that year. BTW, Permits for PF are easy...creek crossings will not be an issue...the Arch is not to be missed. My only caveat here is your choice of the up Snow Creek and its "120+ switchbacks" start...really, really, really sucks.
IMHO, If doing the north rim up out of the Valley, better to go up the Yosemite Falls trail and down via Snow Creek.
mark
Mountainman who swims with trout